Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243728 - 03/24/12 03:31 AM New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen
Frisket Offline
Addict

I just Today Got in the Mail my Benchmade 10502BK Rant DPT and Fell Instantly in Love with it! The USA Made Craftsmanship with the amazing Mel Pardue Design and the Lovely Black Coating just made my heart melt!

Made out of 440c 58-60HRC steel with a 4.5 (Feels more like just 4 honestly) Inch Blade and a extremely Ergonomic Sanoprene handle with fantastic texture all around it made this knife my "Dream" knife In a heart beat.

The well made Leather Sheath it comes with is just Beautiful and rugged and I wouldnt have it any other way kydex or Nylon. While Yes the belt loop is way Tight I personally was about to cut it off (I dont belt carry) Until I was convinced otherwise for more then belt carry options.

Now for the Negatives! The Tang Is apparently a Stepped Full "rat tail" ish design. I learned this from a Video in which someone rehandled the knife. SADLY They Were NOT SMART enough to take a picture of the tang before putting on the wood handles so they resorted to drawing a picture, of which is the only "visual" info I can go by of the tang without the Sanoprene on it (I guess people just love the rant to much to dissect it).

Another negative is the Finger Guard is made completely of Sanoprene and I do not know how much Id trust it to stay in one piece if roughly abused, Say batoning Or worse batoning in cold weather.

Apparently The Version I purchased is Discontinued. I believe the entire rant line was discontinued ALTHOUGH The rant Has been through changes before and I can only hope for a new version to be picked up and produced thats near identical physically (Maybe a better steel? One can hope.

So I picked It up for 80$ and now I want to just safe queen it and pet it every now and then once a month while I beat the living hell out of my 30$< Knives.

#243733 - 03/24/12 03:59 AM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
"safe queen" is a new term for my but I've heard it three time in a couple of days. That means collecting right? (Thanks, Izzy!) For enjoyment or profit?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243734 - 03/24/12 04:03 AM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Safe queen is usually a referral to something You tend to love so much you dont use it and keep it locked up lookin pretty and just fondle it once in awhile.....Sounds dirty.....

#243736 - 03/24/12 04:11 AM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL! That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying. Doesn't it short change the knife if you don't use it? It's what it was born to do'

#243737 - 03/24/12 04:13 AM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

But But But....The Black coating is SO pretty...And what if it chips or breaks!

#243742 - 03/24/12 11:50 AM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Frisket
But But But....The Black coating is SO pretty...And what if it chips or breaks!

Nice knife!

Benchmades have a pretty good warranty...
http://www.benchmade.com/about_knives/warranty.asp

#243743 - 03/24/12 01:29 PM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL! I'm not criticizing at all. Just trying to understand. Thinking that a knife is beautiful, I understand. Not wanting something beautiful to break, I understand.

See, I've been awake for half an hour and I've already learned something today. :-)

thanks!

#243748 - 03/24/12 04:01 PM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Nice knife!

I thoroughly understand the Safe Queen concept- My Imperial Kamp King is put away. It doesn't do me any service, but after losing my father's to overzealous rent-a-cops in Cleveland...

#243754 - 03/24/12 08:00 PM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my Randall #1 hasn't seen the light of day in at least 10years... the Reeve Yarborough made a safe return from Afghanistan....

#243760 - 03/25/12 06:11 AM Re: New Knife Purchase = Instant Beloved SafeQueen [Re: Frisket]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess I have a few safe queens. They're belonged to my dad. Most of them will get used but a few with great sentimental value will go in a drawer, taken out from time to time to play with and remember the good times with Dad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Aaron_Guinn, israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo
5370 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Herman30
Yesterday at 02:39 PM
Man rescued, floating on cooler
by Ren
10/16/24 02:39 PM
Satellite texting via iPhone, 911 via Pixel
by Ren
10/11/24 11:25 AM
Hurricane Milton
by Herman30
10/09/24 11:07 AM
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.