Originally Posted By: MDinana
Let's not forget his line of Gerber gear (insert eye-rolling here). He definitely knew how to capitalize on his 20 minutes of fame.

I don't know about the rest of the line, but from what I've heard about the Ultimate Survival knife it appears to be a solid, reliable knife in a useful (and affordable) package.

While it's not necessarily my cup of tea aesthetically speakinig, the addition of a non-serrated model this year removes my only real technical concern about the knife. Frankly, I don't think it would be a bad choice as a primary knife for someone heading outdoors. There were some reported issues with the pommel in the first generation, but I understand that has been resolved and all the currently available knives are okay.

Here is one fairly indepth review from the British blades forum, and (from what I remember) a test video with some reasonably good results by Adam at Equip 2 Endure.

All that to say, I think maybe Bear's taken a bit more heat over the whole Gerber thing than is really warranted.