The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242121 - 02/29/12 11:53 PM Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Has a frozen pea in a whistle ever actually happened to you in real life? This is a concern to me because I spend a lot of time in snow country.

On the Internet, people often talk about the danger of a pea freezing in a whistle, but I could not find anybody who described this phenomenon actually happening to them. I blindly accepted this assertion anyway because it seemed to make sense. Then, I got a bit irritated because one of my favorite whistles has a pea, the venerable Storm Whistle http://www.stormwhistles.com/ (no affiliation). Some people erroneously describe this whistle as not having a pea, but it definitely does.

Anyway, I conducted an experiment with several whistles. I turned the temperature down on the freezer to as cold as it would go. I don't know what temp that would be, but let's just say the ice in the freezer was already rock hard before I turned the temperature down more. Then, I took the following five whistles and dunked them in a bucket of icy water:

1. Storm Whistle (synthetic pea)
2. Fox 40 Sonik Blast (pea-less)
3. Fox 40 Sharx (pea-less)
4. No-name metal whistle (synthetic pea)
5. No-name plastic whistle (synthetic pea)

I took those whistles, still filled with water, and placed the whistles in my freezer. You may ask why I didn't freeze the whistles in a bowl of water. Well, I'm less interested in that experiment because I don't think that simulates real life conditions for me. Also, I'll assume NO whistle works while it's inside a solid ice block.

Next, I allowed the freezer to freeze the whistles. Then, I stuck my head in the freezer to blow each whistle. (Yeah, I can think of about 10 jokes too.) Each whistle was caked with frozen water at this point.

Here's the result:

NONE of the whistles froze up. They all worked as if I had not even frozen them. This result makes me feel more comfortable with carrying my Storm Whistle in the freezing cold.

My educated guess is that a pea freezing is a concern for peas that hold moisture, for example, cork peas. This urban legend turned into people making general statements about all peas. By the way, who in the heck deliberately carries a whistle having a cork pea? I don't even own a whistle with a cork pea.

#242123 - 03/01/12 12:15 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The less moving parts you have,the less likely you'll have a failure,& since Pea whistles are dependent upon the Pea to function as a whistle(did you try it without the pea?)Pealess whistles Eliminate that worry,Alltogether!

#242126 - 03/01/12 12:29 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
The less moving parts you have,the less likely you'll have a failure,& since Pea whistles are dependent upon the Pea to function as a whistle(did you try it without the pea?)Pealess whistles Eliminate that worry,Alltogether!

Yes, that's true in theory, but I think it's such an unlikely concern that it's not worth bypassing some outstanding whistles that have a pea. For comparison, I view fire starting gear (including tinder) to be about 100 times more delicate than a pea whistle.

I'm interested in people describing how a pea whistle actually malfunctioned on them, what brand it was, the conditions, etc. As far as trying a pea whistle WITHOUT the pea, all my pea whistles must be destroyed in order to remove the pea. So, no, I did not try this!

#242127 - 03/01/12 12:34 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
wrt destruction being the only way to remove a pea from a whistle, I'm not sure that's true, although my evidence is ~40 years old. As a child I had a whistle that lost its pea. I don't remember how, but having 5 brothers probably had something to do with it (the superior force of nature that is 5 brothers can often overcome any design or engineered strength of structure). Without its pea, it was no whistle no more. I remember getting particularly steamed at brother Dan about this, and he hit me on the elbow with his metal kazoo, causing much bleeding and my second biggest scar at the time. Which endeared me to my 8 year old neighbor Molly (not her real name), who thought I was the bravest 8 year old ever, for about a week.

Why am I thinking this post is less about whistle testing than personal remembrances of a cute girl named molly?

But in any case - why an experiment about the function of frozen pea whistle when pea-less whistles are just as functional? I like the experiments that show the decibels generated don't actually carry very far in forested environments - that made me re-think what to tell my kids about blowing whistles until help came.

#242129 - 03/01/12 12:46 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I took a pea out of a pea whistle,the pea was solid plastic,kinda' like from a soft air gun type BB,I had to tweak the metal a bit,but I bent it back in shape,& without the pea it didn't strike a note,I even tried bending the metal in various way's to get some tunes out of it,but no go,I placed the pea back in & closed it,It worked again!It was a $3.50 whistle from Sports Chalet,the brand is Champion,I still have it,though it's not a user,for myself! I have No affiliation with the above named store!

#242130 - 03/01/12 12:46 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: Lono]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Lono
But in any case - why an experiment about the function of frozen pea whistle when pea-less whistles are just as functional?

...because I really like the Storm Whistle. cool

#242131 - 03/01/12 12:58 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I was a traffic cop for three years back in the '70's. I worked outside directing traffic and drove a Harley Davidson police motorcycle in all four seasons in Minnesota. I used either a nickle-plated brass whistle with a rubber mouth guard or a standard black plastic whistle. If I recall correctly, all of my whistles had cork balls. The whistles were on a lanyard and hung on the outside of my coat. I blew them frequently except when traveling on my open three-wheel motorcycle.

I did almost have several body parts freeze up, but never the pea in my whistle.

#242134 - 03/01/12 02:02 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for relating your experience. One less thing to worry about. Even if a pea did freeze up, I would think it would e very easy to unfreeze. Simply put it next to your body for a minute or so...

#242140 - 03/01/12 03:07 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Great experiment, appreciate the comments.

Let's face it ... even IF the pea froze up ... how's that going to affect you?

Option 1: put inside shirt for a few minutes. Hopefully you'd notice and start doing this PRIOR to the SAR team walking past you.
Option 2: if it's that cold, you'll probably be trying to get a fire going. Said fire would conveniently warm body AND whistle.
Option 3: Whistle. You know, pucker up. Better than nothing. Though I assume you'd be pretty nippy at that point too and probably sound like a broken kazoo.

Seems the risks of a frozen pea are pretty far down on the 'what if' scale, with relatively easy fixes.

Edited by MDinana (03/01/12 03:07 AM)

#242141 - 03/01/12 03:55 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: MDinana]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Great experiment, appreciate the comments.

Ditto!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 297 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.