The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242524 - 03/06/12 08:51 AM Rethinking tin foil
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
As much as I like Doug's PSP the first thing I usually do is remove the aluminum foil from the package. My thinking is that it takes a lot of space and isn't all that useful to boil water in. And I'm unlikely to be without a steel water bottle. But I have to admit, lately I'm reconsidering the importance and utility of tin foil as a survival item. The main reason? Fire.

So many times the ground is wet or uneven. I've realized just how huge it is to have even a 2" square of foil to collect fatwood shavings or shelter a cotton ball from the snow or wet. It's really nice if you're trying to keep your potassium permanganate in a pile long enough to get it mixed with glycerine.

A bit of foil is also pretty useful as a windscreen, not just for stoves but for keeping that initial tinder pile going.

Probably no revelation for most people, but a sublte realization on my part that foil is handier than I though.

#242526 - 03/06/12 11:06 AM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I routinely use it a a wind and heat shield with either a stove or a fire. It vastly improves the efficiency.

#242529 - 03/06/12 11:21 AM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Fire is my main reason for carrying tin foil. I use it either as a base or as a windscreen. It can help with cooking also, but is kind of useless after that.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242531 - 03/06/12 12:12 PM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I just dig it to "contain" things. Most brands of foil nowadays are too thin to cook in "Boy Scout style" in a fire. But it holds up long enough to get a fire going on top.

That said, I still do remove the foil from my Ritter PSP and just put a small amount back in. I'd rather use the room for a small LED light, water sanitizing tabs, firesteel, etc.

#242542 - 03/06/12 03:02 PM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I never really thought much about it as I do not have a PSP.

I think if I needed space to add something like a small light, the foil would probably stay and the fishing kit and scalpel blade would go.

Bob

#242543 - 03/06/12 03:38 PM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
A bit of foil is also pretty useful as a windscreen, not just for stoves but for keeping that initial tinder pile going.

You're quite right. My favorite tinder is the cotton ball soaked (but not too much) in petro jelly then pulled apart. I have found that once it's burning some of the jelly liquifies and runs into the ground, wasted. A bit of foil underneath keeps that liquified jelly at hand and the whole thing burns longer. A piece of foil shaped to be underneath and around the tinder adds a windbreak, too.

The late Gene Ward packaged the petro jelly tinder in foil packets for these reasons.

#242607 - 03/07/12 06:18 AM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i don't know what you would fuel and no stove but foil could be formed into a cup set into the ground with some small rocks around it for a pot rest,then the fuel go's into the foil cup to make a "stove".sand or whatever in the cup would keep the fuel from going up in a flash.just a late night thought but you get my drift.
i'm told the place to get extra heavy foil is at BBQ supply shops,the ones that cater to the hard core outdoor cooks who show up at contests.i've never looked myself but i'll bet down South,Texas and such,there must be places that sell it.

#242620 - 03/07/12 02:08 PM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have also tried to use the tin foil as a water tight container for boiling and never had much luck. I do keep it in the PSKs just for the purposes you guys have identified.

#242770 - 03/09/12 05:07 AM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Phaedrus]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
You can get "heavy duty" foil from the bottom of many shop bought pies. Certainly here, if you buy a frozen apple pie from the supermarket, it will come in a heavy foil tray, which is meant to be disposable. You can clean it, cut it to shape and re-use it.

You can also buy new, clean trays (from the supermarket), in a variety of sizes ranging from a small bowl, to a turkey !

#242771 - 03/09/12 05:21 AM Re: Rethinking tin foil [Re: Aussie]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Cool ideas all.

You can also by crafters foil/tooling foil, approximately 38 gauge, at many art supply type stores. I've gotten some on eBay for use as windscreen material. It's pretty nice and much better than anything I've been able to source at a grocery store.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.