Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#242203 - 03/01/12 09:31 PM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon
More importantly, the manufacturer of the Storm Whistle says there's a pea in there. See the diagram on this page:

http://www.stormwhistles.com/quickfacts.html

You're absolutely right. I spoke too soon. blush

#242206 - 03/01/12 10:20 PM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: Roarmeister]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Whistles with peas were abandoned by hockey leagues years ago (especially unheated or outdoor facilities). That is one sport where they DID freeze up. It is not a myth. The amount of times they blow the whistle or even hold the whistle up to blow leads to a lot of spittle in the whistle which can freeze and block the operation or at the very least atune the frequency so that it becomes a garble instead of a tweeeet.

Actually this not quite true. During the last NHL All Star week, there was a very brief discussion on a sports show about the old whistles as compared to the new whistles. The reason both high level minor and pro hockey migrated to pea-less whistles is due to the fact that most modern arenas are much larger and seat more people which means more crowd noise. The old pea whistles that refs once used were not loud enough to hear above the crowd noise whereas the newer whistles are designed to be louder and and with a different pitch that helps overcome (mostly) the crowd noise and the bad acoustics of the bigger arenas. It also bears mentioning that the Fox brand is the official (sponsored) ref whistle of the NHL so it is no surprise that refs use them..

Around here, a few old school beer league refs still use the old pea whistles, but the most common I see are the Fox brand of whistles also.

As for the cold freezing the pea in the old whistles, we discussed this here awhile. When I was growing up and playing outdoor hockey for hours at time, we never had problems with the pea whistles in temps well below zero.

John Lubbock

#242235 - 03/02/12 08:01 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: MDinana]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Great experiment, appreciate the comments.

Let's face it ... even IF the pea froze up ... how's that going to affect you?

Option 1: put inside shirt for a few minutes. Hopefully you'd notice and start doing this PRIOR to the SAR team walking past you.
Option 2: if it's that cold, you'll probably be trying to get a fire going. Said fire would conveniently warm body AND whistle.
Option 3: Whistle. You know, pucker up. Better than nothing. Though I assume you'd be pretty nippy at that point too and probably sound like a broken kazoo.

Seems the risks of a frozen pea are pretty far down on the 'what if' scale, with relatively easy fixes.

Option 4: Carry TWO whistles...?

#242772 - 03/09/12 05:24 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
An excellent test. Thankyou.

I am another one who has lost the pea out of a whistle, many years ago. I'll admit that I don't know the brand and I'm sure it was a fairly cheap one.

I can see some general wisdom in the sentiment against pea whistles: if you lined up a random bunch of scouts, or even hikers, how many would have a cheap pea whistle like mine ?

I suspect there is nothing "wrong" with any quality whistle, but any "cheap" whistle may not perform when its needed most !

PS - I'm not sure about the wisdom some folk have put forward "...just warm it up ". Yes you can do that, but if you are in a "situation", that may not be possible, or not quick enough to be useful, so although you can do it, its not ideal

#242961 - 03/12/12 12:22 AM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

I am wondering though - you blow into the whistle with several quarts of air heated to something like 98.6 degrees F. Wouldn't that dislodge the pea from any tiny bit of ice that may have stuck it to the chamber of the whistle?

#243008 - 03/12/12 07:42 PM Re: Pea Freezing in a Whistle: An Experiment [Re: ireckon]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'm interested in people describing how a pea whistle actually malfunctioned on them, what brand it was, the conditions, etc. As far as trying a pea whistle WITHOUT the pea, all my pea whistles must be destroyed in order to remove the pea. So, no, I did not try this!

I never had a pea whistle malfuntion. I did take the cork pea out of a couple of cheepies just to see what would happed. They lost their characteristic trill and sounded like a medium pitched bosun's whistle, but still worked. I suppose if the resonance chamber or labium (air splitter) gets ice built up, it would alter the airflow enough to prevent getting any good volume.

Also, the current crop of Storm whistles do have a pea. It's not the split ring that you're hearing rattling.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 323 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 03:17 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.