Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#241766 - 02/24/12 03:34 PM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Marsbars.

#241767 - 02/24/12 04:08 PM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: bacpacjac]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Seems more like a way to burn grant money than to learn anything new. Or is this just a new "reality" show?

The Navy has been feeding people for long deployments since the beginning.

Restricted supplies of food have been dealt with on submarines.

And ground forces have lived on MREs for months as well. (Remember the runup to Gulf War I ?)

The real issue for Mars is - how to safely land there. Followed closely by obtaining air and water. Having tasty fresh food is nice, but not the highest or first priority.

#241783 - 02/24/12 07:10 PM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I don't understand this. The sense of smell processes the molecules released by food (or anything else with a smell). How can gravity affect it?

Gravity doesn't, not directly.

What does have an effect is air pressure. Spaceships and habitats are kept at a relatively low air pressure, which has a big impact on the senses of smell and taste. Gravity's effect on air pressure only applies, of course, when out in the open. I assume that our first Mars colony will be in appropriate protective gear when not in habitats.

#241787 - 02/24/12 07:49 PM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: bacpacjac]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Spam. Spam,ham and spam. Beans, eggs and spam...

#241790 - 02/24/12 08:35 PM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: unimogbert]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Seems more like a way to burn grant money than to learn anything new. Or is this just a new "reality" show?

The Navy has been feeding people for long deployments since the beginning.

Restricted supplies of food have been dealt with on submarines.

And ground forces have lived on MREs for months as well. (Remember the runup to Gulf War I ?)

The real issue for Mars is - how to safely land there. Followed closely by obtaining air and water. Having tasty fresh food is nice, but not the highest or first priority.

Followed by not telling a guy you hate his guts by the way he holds his fork. Morale and social interation are going to be major factors if you're couped up with the same 1/2 doz people for three years straight. Living on MRE's for 3 years straight sick ain't going to help, and meals have always been a social ritual.

Quote:
So if astronauts someday head there in what's estimated would be a three-year mission — roughly six months travel each way, plus two years on the planet — what they'd take to eat would be among the concerns.

Interesting take on social events during isolation.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/earth/antarctica/antarctic-conservation/blog-archive/?cat=11

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#241797 - 02/25/12 12:19 AM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Was'nt the question what "I" would eat?

#241798 - 02/25/12 12:30 AM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: unimogbert]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I agree. I have livedon MRE's and First Strike for extended periods. If I was on Mars I would be there for a Reason. Fusssing over a stove and being social would be far down my list of priorities. Food would merely be fuel to run this rather sizable machine. Except for brownies. They would be my indulgence. I doubt that a Mars mission would be a social experient. Just my thoughts on the subject. We now return you to your regular programming schedule...

#241800 - 02/25/12 12:55 AM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I've gone to sea for months without seeing the outside or really even having much of a break. We were busy. Food was something to look forward to but it wasn't like a cruise ship where you eat out of boredom.

Often I'd eat 1 meal in 24 hrs because I needed it. I needed the little sleep I could catch more.

The Mars explorers would be BUSY. Maybe later parties could have the luxury of boredom.

BTW- I'd volunteer to be in the 1st party to Mars. Even if it was a planned 1 way trip. (Offer not valid for any subsequent expeditions)

#241801 - 02/25/12 01:30 AM Re: What would you eat for 4 months on Mars? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Yes, one can live on MRE's for extended periods. I have been impresses at the variety and general tastiness of current offerings, which are far better than the C rats they replaced (and even those were pretty tasty when your options were limited). But MRE's are rather heavy, pretty close to canned goods in that respect.

It seems like the point of the project is to provide good food (defined as nutritionally adequate and at least reasonably tasty). Weight will be a factor. And just like the NOLS experience, they are finding that providing basic staples and enabling variety will provide good nutrition at less weight than preplanned and prepared meals. MREs are great for their purpose, but extended forays into space is something different - one of the differences highlighted in the piece I heard was the universal desire for more spicy food.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 610 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.