Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
That's a well thought out concern, but it looks like CG has that base covered too

Ah, interesting. That's a hot off the presses result (2011). I should look up the article some time.

The last time I had looked into this issue was quite some time ago and was back when powder and granules were still the main method of application. The research I saw back then didn't show that they worked well on people on anticoagulants (or else not much research had been done with anticoagulants yet--I forget what the situation was back then).

By the way, I was just looking and it seems that HemCon now sells their chitosan-impregnated trauma bandages to the public, but it looks like you have to indicate that you are expressly buying it for non-military use. (Over at one of my favorite first aid supply websites, there is a checkbox that says "I verify that I am purchasing for Non-Military Use.")

Celox is also another chitosan-based product besides HemCon. The fact that the chitosan-based bandages don't generate heat makes them more attractive to me. If used as directed, the exothermic products should be safe, but that's the problem with a real life emergency--they often don't go "as directed".

Edited by Arney (02/21/12 10:57 PM)