Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: Bingley
What do you plan to do to get more prepared this year?

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas?

We stockpile some of the usual: dry beans and peas, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, flour. Peanut butter, jam, canned meat and salmon, tuna packs etc. We keep a stockpile (and use daily) Wasa crispbread as a substitute for soft bread. All of this gets used regularly and replenished when it goes on sale.

All good ideas. Don't forget unusual (to Americans) staples: rice, couscous, corn, barley, etc etc etc. Look up gluten-free diet websites for probably dozens of other stable grains.