There are a lot of things you can do to adjust to hot conditions without depending upon a generator and air conditioning. One of the simplest is to adjust your schedule. Do the heavy work between sunrise and 9 AM to take advantage of the cool. The midday siesta isn't laziness - it is a very smart coping strategy for dealing with the heat.

I once did a dig in the Grand Canyon, right next to the suspension bridge and along the trail, where we were digging by 4 AM, knocked off at noon, retreated to our cabin until dinner, and then returned to the site in the evening, once it was in the shade. Worked pretty well and avoided a lot of sunstroke.

Shade is critical. Many native cultures adapt a ramada-like structure, basically a roof with open sides, that keeps the direct sun out, but catches the breezes. If you are hydrated and sweating, the slightest breeze will cool you nicely.

Most of my hot weather experience has been in the arid Southwest, which typically features low humidity. There is a big difference between 100 degrees with 20% humidity and 100 degrees and 80% humidity. To me dry conditions are far easier to deal with. If it gets hot enough, generally over 106F, about the only thing you can do is limit your exertion.