Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240457 - 02/02/12 11:56 PM waterproof your iphone without a case
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
i just saw this.

if i missed a previous post about this, forgive me.

only a works on a few of their approved devices, but the company says to let them know what you have and they'll try to accommodate.

Liquipel

no company association, etc.

ymmv

Edited by bsmith (02/03/12 01:23 AM)

#240473 - 02/03/12 07:04 AM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: bsmith]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Have you purchased? Curious as to how actually works.

#240474 - 02/03/12 02:13 PM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: bsmith]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
That doesn't make any sense. A coating on the glass and plastic surfaces isn't going to help make it waterproof, they are already waterproof. You need to seal the openings into the phone, like the buttons and most importantly the headphone and charge ports. I'm not sure how you can seal the headphone and charge ports without disabling them.

#240485 - 02/03/12 04:47 PM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If it's the same stuff as I read about earlier, water can run through the machine after it's been treated and no damage. The coating itself repels water, like Rain-X on steroids.

#240486 - 02/03/12 05:10 PM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: aloha]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: aloha
Have you purchased? Curious as to how actually works.

no, i haven't.

i just saw an online news video segment and began thinking of the possibilities.

phones, gps, spot devices, plbs.

#240487 - 02/03/12 05:14 PM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: ]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: GoatRider
That doesn't make any sense. A coating on the glass and plastic surfaces isn't going to help make it waterproof, they are already waterproof. You need to seal the openings into the phone, like the buttons and most importantly the headphone and charge ports. I'm not sure how you can seal the headphone and charge ports without disabling them.

They actually disassemble the phone according to the booth guy at CES this year. They disassemble, coat everything and then reseal it.

according to the video on their website ( lower right from my link ), they DO NOT take the device apart - and i'm thinking that might void a warranty if they do.

they insert the device into their machine. the waterproofing process is applied as a gas.

and there's no mention of having to disassemble your device on their website - that i could find.

#240488 - 02/03/12 05:16 PM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: Russ]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: Russ
If it's the same stuff as I read about earlier, water can run through the machine after it's been treated and no damage. The coating itself repels water, like Rain-X on steroids.

yep.

they don't encourage running water through it, but it just might protect your device in a rainstorm or sudden dunking from a canoe / kayak or loss of footing in a river crossing.

#240498 - 02/03/12 11:18 PM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: bsmith]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Interesting. To bad they can't come to you and process your phone in an hour or two. Or, you go to a local facility.

The idea of putting my phone into the postal system, UPS or FedEx is a little unsettling, not to mention inconvenient.

#240500 - 02/03/12 11:33 PM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: GarlyDog]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been known to put my cell phone is a zip lock bag. Low tech, cheap, but, so far, effective, and I still have the phone with me,,,,

#240501 - 02/04/12 12:32 AM Re: waterproof your iphone without a case [Re: bsmith]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: bsmith
they don't encourage running water through it, but it just might protect your device in a rainstorm or sudden dunking from a canoe / kayak or loss of footing in a river crossing.

In all fairness, everything is only "water resistant". I thought I read somewhere that "waterproof" should only be applied to products that can repel water/keep a dry environment for at least 1 hour at some atmosphere completely submerged.

If they cannot guarantee a time period, then it is "water resistant". In my opinion at least.

Edited by ki4buc (02/04/12 12:35 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.