Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240129 - 01/26/12 06:07 PM Field Dressing a Squirrel
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Interesting (and graphic) approach to prepping a squirrel for the stew pot. I've never done this (my experience is with chickens, deer, and beef cattle).

Is this a good method? Would it also work for rabbits?

-Doug, eyeing a pesky squirrel on his bird feeder

From the article:
**Disclaimer: This post contains a graphic step-by-step depiction of the skinning, slicing, and disemboweling of a real squirrel. If you’re eating, have always felt a deep affinity for woodland creatures, or faint at the sight of dismembered squirrel gonads, please skip this post. Seriously. You can watch this video of an adorable water skiing squirrel instead.**

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/01/16/how-to-field-dress-a-squirrel/

#240136 - 01/26/12 08:23 PM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
This method is well proven.
The video is well done.

A well done Fox Squirrel cooked by this method however, will prove difficult at best to chew. You cannot cook a Fox Squirrel to long. Keep it in fluids of some type - butter, oil, soup, etc, etc.

I only cook squirrels in a crock pot with a can of Campbells Manhandler Soup.

Another skinning method is simple if you have some upper body strength. Cut off the head, 4 feet and the tail. Lift up the skin in the back half way between the hips and the shoulders. Cut the hide perpendicular to the body with the cut big enough to get both hands in. Now pull it apart.

The video method is poor for rabbits. The above method works very well for rabbits. On both species, check the liver for large pink blotches.

Edited by ponder (01/26/12 08:25 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#240146 - 01/26/12 10:32 PM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Method works fine.

Assuming that you are in compliance with local laws regarding hunting...

IMO, wild game always carries an element of risk to eat. I always cook it well done to make sure.

To finish 'ponders' excellent point, if you find the blotches, those are not delicacies, but reasons to not eat the squirrel, rabbit, etc. Or if you find the innards just don't look right, pass. Since you have butchered other animals, I assume you would have some sense of this.

Otherwise, enjoy!

#240196 - 01/27/12 11:01 PM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I appreciate the comments. The "little rat with good PR" is now destroying the hanging suet feeders that I put up for my woodpeckers when we had a -38C spell. Our indulgence doth wear increasingly thin.

BTW, if anyone has more on the definitive (plus effective and humane) harvesting of rabbit/hare, I would like to see it. Like I said, this is new territory for me. But I've had offers of breeding pairs of rabbits (the varieties raised for their meat) and I think this would be useful in my ongoing education.

EDIT: P.S., The one thing rarely mentioned about squirrels (and all rodents) is the management of their attendant stowaways (fleas etc.) as they abandon the sinking ship.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/27/12 11:12 PM)

#240203 - 01/28/12 03:01 AM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Have you ever observed a Squirrel sitting on a branch,& It appeared that he was washing his face with his paws/arms?The reason I ask is because All Squirrels have scent glands in their forearms,& depending on the season they will have alot or a little...Musk that is! 1st & Foremost,after you send his soul packin',chop it's forearms off at the elbow,then follow the directions on the Manliness post.If you want to keep the hide/skin but fear the fleas,etc.,You can dunk it like a teabag a few times in a bucket of Cold saltwater,don't bother drying it off afterward,just no need thats all,Good Luck with the fun! wink

#240207 - 01/28/12 06:56 AM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
But I've had offers of breeding pairs of rabbits (the varieties raised for their meat) and I think this would be useful in my ongoing education.

Learn to sex rabbits when they're young and keep them separate AT ALL TIMES, except when you want more.

#240454 - 02/02/12 09:52 PM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
This is amazing. I am somewhat squeamish, but this really wasn't too bad. Every day when I sit outside and watch the squirrels playing in my yard, I think to myself about the various ways in which I would prepare them should I be forced to rely on them for a food source for my family. I was grateful for this thread, because until I saw it, I figured all I could do was stick it on a stick and roast it in a fire (to get the fur off). Looks easy enough to actually clean it though!

Now... if only someone could point me to a similar tutorial for doing a deer! (Those also like to hang out in my neighborhood).

~Marion C. Garretty

#240472 - 02/03/12 06:30 AM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
there are folks in this country that eat so much squirrel because they have to and not to just see what its like that they keep the fishing lure company's well supplied with tails.one firm even said in their FAQ section that they prefer tail from squirrels taken for food,no road kill i guess.

#240544 - 02/05/12 07:02 AM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Field dressing squirrels tends to be difficult because generally sqirrels have no fashion sense. No matter how clearly you show them a given color picks up the hues of their eyes and the highlights of their fur, bringing their appearance sparkling to life, they just keep struggling as you try to fasten the perfect little hat or vest. I no longer consider it worthwhile effort, most of the time ....

#240592 - 02/06/12 04:31 AM Re: Field Dressing a Squirrel [Re: dougwalkabout]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So much for trying to have fun with the topic!

More seriously: first you have to decide why you are field dressing an animal. Do you have a plan to use every part of the critter, or is it to be quick and dirty take the best and easiest pieces? Do you want the hide intact? How are you going to cook the critter? Are you going to make stock of the minor bits and pieces? Are you going to cure the meat before butchering? Do you intend to marinate? Is it better to do a quick field dressing and cool down the carcass for more elaborate butchering at home? Are you going to also cook the critter in the field? Is it important to you to learn from a small animal the techniques for fully butchering larger animals?

Let your purpose inform your techniques.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 699 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.