Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240322 - 01/31/12 04:02 AM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
What do mean someday???? Haven't you ever applied to be a tester with http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ You should be able to get some camping equipment for free, and with your experience as a tester they should be lining up to get you to work for them.

Click here to apply:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=1
Good thought, and I really like that website (great reviews), but it's an unpaid gig is it not?

HJ

#240346 - 01/31/12 06:50 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Aside from the equipment being supplied, they don't pay you for the review unfortunately. And after the review is posted it becomes their property which means if you have a separate blog with an expanded review you could keep that and you keep the copyright on your pictures.

Looking deeper into their reviews it seems like it is largely the mainstream equipment suppliers -- I don't see many reviews of the smaller mom & pop stores. That's something that really needs to be corrected because the smaller shops often produce better qualtiy stuff than the mainstream and more often are able to customize to the users needs -- JMHO.

#240350 - 01/31/12 07:56 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

But what if you had a low-slung remote canister like maybe a Primus Express Spider?

... (snip ) ...

I suspect it wouldn't work because the Cone restricts air flow too much. Gas burners need a fair amount of oxygen. Insufficient oxygen would result in an inefficient flame and a lot of carbon monoxide emission. Interesting thought, though. I'm going to have to think about that one.

Now you've got me thinking: You could probably leave the wind screen partial open, giving more oxygen and preventing overheating of the hose. Not as efficient as the closed unit, but still way beyond most other crummy half-baked wind screen design.

I guess what I really want I is a wind screen for my gas burner that can do double duty as a Caldera cone wood stove. cool

#240355 - 01/31/12 10:08 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I went and did some searching. I've found reports where people talk about using an MSR WindPro with a Ti-Tri cone (DO NOT do this with an aluminum cone; you'll ruin the cone). Apparently, there were no problems.

Now that's fascinating. Just plain fascinating. A little wood stove that will burn gas too. Whether finesse cooking (those crepes you've been wanting to make) or just a wood fire to warm up to, this set up can do it all. FASCINATING.

HJ

#240358 - 01/31/12 11:18 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Another very cool review. Great product and even I can figure this one out. Thanks a bunch.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#240366 - 02/01/12 02:40 AM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
Another very cool review. Great product and even I can figure this one out. Thanks a bunch.
It's a really nice one. Nice big fire box. Integrated wind screen. Stable. You can feed in more wood without taking the pot off the stove. Very little ash left behind. Let me put it to you this way: NICE.

HJ

#240445 - 02/02/12 04:51 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Jim,

Your explaination of why a wood stove is, as usual, was my explaination - plus, but much more eloquent. Thanks.

How do you compare the sidewinder with the conventional cone? I was just about convinced to buy a Ti-Tri with an inferno, now I am sure, as soon as I pay for my HugeCanine silent burner for my XGK-EX. I just have to decide on the conventional design or the sidewinder. I would expect the conventional design to be more efficient but not as easily carried. What say you? Anything I have missed?

Thanks again,

Jerry

#240466 - 02/03/12 04:06 AM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The smell of wood smoke & Slab bacon,Corn mush & Maple syrup,orWood smoke & Chorizo con huevos w/ semi- burnt tortillas is Just Un-Equalled, on a Cold winter day in the boonies! That multi-use stove is just Too Cool!Jim,Thanx for The XLNT photo-zen/review! wink

#242172 - 03/01/12 04:13 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Jim,

I am beginning my thought process on buying a Ti-Tri. One of the first decisions is between the Sidewinder and the conventional cone. I would think the conventional design more efficient. True - or not? The sidewinder might be easier to feed. I don't know.

Now about the pot size? Mostly I would use it for the noon tea, but it would be nice to have one that could really cook as well. Do you expect the larger pots to be significantly less efficient for boiling a few cups of water (I use a BIG mug)?

Thanks for your time,

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 700 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.