Originally Posted By: hikermor
In my corner of the world, I used maps older that most of the members of this forum (made in 1943); the landscape was fine; roads, etc. were laughably inaccurate..
Very true. Also, the older the map, the more the magnetic declination will have changed. For general navigation you always want the most recent edition. When orienting a map, always look first to the big terrain features. Mountains typically don't change much. Manmade features change a lot with time.

All this stuff about different datums is a bit arcane and technical. Its relevance depends a great deal upon the purpose for which you are using the map. If you are traveling and trying to reach the proper summit, pass, or drainage, it probably doesn't matter. If you are trying to located or find an archaeological site or fossil locality, it can be critical.
Yes. You put it much more articulately than I did. Also, even at that datums are only important when working between paper map and GPS, or when using someone else's published waypoint. If you are only using your GPS, it doesn't really matter. For example, if you use your GPS to take a waypoint at your camp in the morning, your GPS can still lead you back to that camp at night, no matter what datum you use. Sometimes datums matter, but often they aren't that crucial.

The thing about the different colors (red works its way into the scheme for showing dense urban areas) is that the USGS has good taste and the maps make great wall decorations - at least in my opinion. Others, like my wife, may not agree......
True indeed. smile Long ago, I took a bit of cartography in college. The professor taught us that a good map is a thing of beauty. I still believe that. My home office has maps on the walls. However, I can't always convice my wife to put them up in the living room. smile