Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#239730 - 01/20/12 09:23 AM Re: Missing Snoeshoer Found Alive After Two Days [Re: AKSAR]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
There are also various kinds of overboots that add warmth.

I've been looking at those overboots that are for sale, typically some neopren thingy (similar stuff is used by bikers in cold weather). If my climate had been colder I would have bought something like this.

What I'm looking for is an overboot that a) is large enough to accommodate my big leather boot (a leather boot made for super telemark 75mm binding is BIG), b) also works when you take off your ski and start messing around in the snow. Those neopren thingys will act as upside-down funnels and squeeze a lot of snow in between the overshoe and the boots. Not optimal.

A neopren overshoe with some rigid straps under the sole could work... Or one overshoe in combination with some "slippers" that you put on when you take off your skis.

My biggest problem with skiing in the cold (not talking about -40C here, it doesn't get that cold where I live) is that everyone's feet will get cold during lunch, or while we play in the snow, or while we dig that cozy snow cave. Keeping your feet warm while on the move is much less of a problem.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (01/20/12 09:24 AM)

#239747 - 01/20/12 04:12 PM Re: Missing Snoeshoer Found Alive After Two Days [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My cold weather skiing has been in plastic shell double boots designed for mountaineering and compatible with ski bindings. For really cold condition, I was carrying full nylon and neoprene over boots that would accept crampons but not ski bindings. On this trip (Denali), we spent a lot of time at a camp at about 14,000 feet. We wore the classic "mickey mouse" over boots which were unfailingly warm and comfortable, down to -80F windchill, the coldest I have ever been. Those, unfortunately, will not play well with either crampons or ski bindings.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.