Originally Posted By: JerryFountain

I did not say it was impossible, just impractical. When you start trying to walk on skis, it is not moving horizontal you have to pick it up. Since the ski and binding was not designed to be lifted it becomes a LOT of work. Much more than using snow shoes. I have tried it and will go for the snow shoes any time.

I respectfully have to disagree about the lifting part here. If the ski is totally submerged (very powdery or very rotten snow, or very thin skis) you may have to lift it upwards. This is of course very tiresome - but under most conditions you can just push it forward, no lifting required.

When pushing forward you let the ski rest on the ground. Your weigth is on your other foot - but you don't have to physically lift the foot that moves forward OFF the ground. Shift your weight to your left foot, (lift your right foot if submerged), let your right foot rest passively on the ground and move it forward.

I've been doing this under a huge range of conditions, from +10 to -20-something C. Heck, I've even skied on dry asphalt (student festival happening). I haven't tried the -40C and "snow as sand" thingy, but increased friction would not prevent me from sliding the non weight-bearing ski forward. We're talking about snow here, not super glue.

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain

reports from friends indicate it is still a chore and you cannot wear -40 capable boots in the modern binding. I go for the warm.

I believe both statements. Skiing with poor gliding conditions is a chore, no matter what. (I still don't lift them unless I sink too deep). And the -40 capable boots are a challenge. Such boots / overboots are used by polar expeditions, but are not in regular sale where I live.