Gentlemen,

I am currently in EMT-B training. This will be complete in May, then I will go into EMT-I class during the summer session. At that point I plan to work part-time for my county for a good while before considering pursuit of EMT-P.

As I'm going through my training I'm constantly evaluating the gear & techniques to apply towards wilderness/remote settings, as opposed to well-stocked "scoop & go to the hospital" runs.

Based on your experiences, what are some recommendations for effective yet lightweight/minimum bulk BLS gear where you might sacrifice some utility for packability? IE I'm thinking you couldn't justify toting a BVM in a bugout bag, but a pocketmask would be OK... or would you go to a microshield? See what I mean?

Another example, I happened across [this link] for a lightweight/low-bulk BP cuff & gauge. What do you think of it?

In general, I'm interested in your recommendations for BLS gear that while not ideal in an ambulance-supplied situation, would be acceptable when all the gear is carried on your back and every ounce counts.

Thanks!