Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#239054 - 01/10/12 05:35 PM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Frisket

Careful With Metal Mugs and such and inspect them in the store if its capable. My Local Gander mountain sells tiny SS sierra cups for like...I believe around 8$? I forget the price off my head but it was super expensive for what it was. The Cups small and the Rolled edge is as sharp and jagged as a tin can that's been opened with a brick. Not something I wanna be putting to my lips.

I have owned and used many cups of this type and I have never seen one with a jagged edge. Cabela's must have gotten a bad lot. They tuck away nicely in a pack, but even the small ones are a bit clunky for a pocket, although it depends on whether you are talking about a pant's cargo pocket or something on the upper body.

#239059 - 01/10/12 07:43 PM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: TeacherRO]
boomtown Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
I've used McCormick Old Bay 16oz tins for a small on the go drinking vessel. The plastic lid can be taken off and on for cleaning and easy refilling. It has the snap lids to help contain the liquids and the plastic is not hot to the touch, unlike the lip burning metal of other cups. I slip it into a neoprene coozey to keep it cool to the touch.

It takes a couple of washing to get the smell and taste out of the tin, but some like a little spice in their coffee so do as you wish.

I've never cooked with one so I can't say if you fall into that same welded seam trap as other rectangular tins.

#239061 - 01/10/12 08:11 PM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: boomtown]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Boom Town, this has nothing to do with the topic but I can't help but notice that your persona/avatar needs help from Aflac.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239090 - 01/11/12 03:45 AM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: TeacherRO]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
When I find it impossible to carry my canteen & canteen cup, I put an empty 500 cc olive oil can in my M65 jacket pocket. It also fits in a cargo pocket and a bail is easily improvised. All my PSK goes into it, except for my knife and multitool, which are in my belt anyway. Of course the can has welds, but it's better than nothing.

#239102 - 01/11/12 11:30 AM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: hikermor]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Frisket

Careful With Metal Mugs and such and inspect them in the store if its capable. My Local Gander mountain sells tiny SS sierra cups for like...I believe around 8$? I forget the price off my head but it was super expensive for what it was. The Cups small and the Rolled edge is as sharp and jagged as a tin can that's been opened with a brick. Not something I wanna be putting to my lips.

I have owned and used many cups of this type and I have never seen one with a jagged edge. Cabela's must have gotten a bad lot. They tuck away nicely in a pack, but even the small ones are a bit clunky for a pocket, although it depends on whether you are talking about a pant's cargo pocket or something on the upper body.

They have been this way for a very long time sadly. To long of a time to say it was just a bad batch.

#239124 - 01/11/12 09:25 PM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: TeacherRO]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
I had input on the ". . . and a pot" thread (it is under Urban Survival) but I'll say it again here. The closest thing I can think of is the old metal boxes that adhesive bandages (I remember Band-Aid brand specifically) used to come in. An inch or so thick; and in the range of 3" by 4" or 4" by 6" in the other dimensions.

The problem with those "bandaid boxes" is that they were made of junk metal (tin??) and they have rolled seams. I think there is one still kicking around my garage.

The advantages of them was their size (pocket kit), they had a tight fitting lid, and the fact that they opened on the smallest side.

People on that thread, and on this one (i.e., acropolis5) went right to the flat tins, which are fine except that they open on the largest side which makes using them as pot difficult at best.

I have both a stainless steel cup (SS Cup) and a titanium pot (Ti Pot) that slip on the bottom of a Nalgene 1L bottle; and I have made a kit in a widemouth Kleen Kanteen (Kleen Kanteen). All 3 of these items go with me on various trips (not necessarily all 3 of them on the same trip) but they must ride in the pack and not in a pocket, which increases the chance that they are not with me when I am lost and need to purify water.

A "bandaid box" type pot with folding handles made from Ti, SS, or Al (in that order of preference), with a tight fitting lid and a slight "flask curve" to it, that is molded from a single piece of metal (i.e. not welded or sodered) is in my opinion the Holy Grail of a container for a pocket kit. I do not know much about metal fabrication so I don't know if it is even possible, but that is my wish.

Disclaimer: Sorry for including the links but in the other thread people seemed to jump in late and tell me what my options were. I am pretty aware of my options and already own the item they are telling me I needed to use. I'm pretty specific in what I want and realize that it probably does not exist.

#239127 - 01/11/12 09:44 PM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: ]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
The Sigg Traveler flask nests with a metal cup.

Tragically that cup has failed many people. It's not a single piece of aluminum, but a rolled piece with a vertical seam and a rounded horizontal seam for the bottom. It's welded together in a similar fashion as tin cans. The welds eventually melt away and it falls apart. I think there's a few pictures on a couple blogs and maybe a few videos. I last saw them maybe 3 years ago. One guy it melted right away and the other guy got about a handful of campfires in before the seams gave way.

If they made it in stainless steel...it'd be ideal for many things.

I wonder if you could coat the seams with a 1/4" layer of JB Weld. It would take the heat and I don't think it would be toxic.

David Enoch

#239153 - 01/12/12 04:59 PM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: ]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
The Sigg Traveler flask nests with a metal cup.

If they made it in stainless steel...it'd be ideal for many things.

Izzy,

They DO make it in SS!! Or did, as I am not currently finding it on their website, nor do I find any for sale with a quick Google search. Lots of hits, but all out of stock. It is the reproduction of the '41 Swiss Army Canteen. I have one and it is great. The welds DON'T give up on heating. The major difference between the new one and the old one is the cork. The originals used --- cork. The new ones use the screw top. They are sold as the SIGG 0.6L Traveler Oval Black Flask with Cup. I thought that was the one described in the thread, but mine is SS. They also built (or build I can't tell which) a similar design with a different stopper (the old latch down style) but without the cup.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#239190 - 01/13/12 12:24 AM Re: Rectangular ( flat) metal cup [Re: NightHiker]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
If you're concerned about the quality of the modern canteen & cup from sigg you can still get the 1943 swiss army issued model (m34) quite cheeply or you might want to try the m84 model like the one here

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 343 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/16/24 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.