I carry my E&E kit in a small wheeled bag. Inside is a small daypack (Camelback), and a Messenger Bag. I carry my "Watch Bag" which is another Messenger Bag.

If I needed it, I dump everything in my "Watch Bag" except for my licenses and the survival type items that are normally stored in it. I distribute the survival gear between the Camel Back and the two Messenger Bags.

I link the two Messenger Bags together and sling them like a Haversack and then put on the CamelBack. I tie a couple of blankets onto the Camel Back and get moving.

I tried this arrangement out on a 14mile hike and overnight camping trip and refined it to ride well on my shoulders.

It was that trip that I decided Bota Bags for water storage disdn't ride worth a flip on the trail unless they were inside of the bags (which creates more problems) which is why I will now save them for attending festivals, etc.

I basically keep Daypacking gear in the Camel Back so I don't have to make a big transition to leave the camp and carry a daypack with me. The Camelback is ready to be used solo for daypacking once we have set up our camp.