Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#238791 - 01/06/12 05:11 PM Re: Navigating at Night [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One thing about hiking and navigating at night to consider are the benefits of using natural illumination as much as possible. Ideally I like to hike from the day through dusk into the night so my eyes are as dark adapted as possible. This helps in perceiving distant land forms by which one might be navigating.

It is surprisingly bright at night if one is fully dark adapted. Under ideal conditions (full moon overhead), have been able to comfortably read a newspaper. A light should be readily available, of course, but use the dimmer settings first. Of course, I honed my night hiking skills when "dim flashlight" was a highly redundant statement. The only other kind available was a nonworking flashlight.

#238792 - 01/06/12 05:22 PM Re: Navigating at Night [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
...A light should be readily available, of course, but use the dimmer settings first....
Quark 1xAA is a dim flashlight in Moonlight mode -- - 0.2 lumens for 10 days on one AA battery.

#238806 - 01/06/12 09:50 PM Re: Navigating at Night [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Pete Offline
Veteran

The north star Polaris is a useful navigational tool. It certainly is not the brightest star in the northern sky, but it is surrounded by fairly dark space at its location.

Try using the following free software to see the stars and understand their movements:

http://stellarium.org/

It's pretty user-friendly software, and will certainly get your oriented with the directions of bright stars, the planets, the Sun and the Moon.

Once you know Polaris ... you also know your latitude. Just measure the height of Polaris above the horizon in degrees, and that is also the latitude of your location in the northern hemisphere. There are fine-tuned corrections if you want exact numbers (typically only sailors using celestial navigation care about exact stuff), but the system works well.

You can also get the north-south line from the shadow of the Sun when it is at the highest point in the sky. This system works well if you are further north that 30 degrees N, or further south than 30 degrees S. Be aware that the zenith of the Sun does not generally occur exactly at noon - so if you want a really good estimate for the north-south direction you need to know the time when the Sun is at its highest point. If you just use the shadow of the Sun at noon, you should be able to get north-south to within about 10 degrees.

There's a lot you can do with the stars, Sun and Moon - if you take the time to learn the way they move.

The main disadvantage of all these techniques is that you need a clear sky ... or at least a sky that has some gaps in cloud cover.

Good luck!

Pete2

Edited by Pete (01/06/12 09:57 PM)

#238808 - 01/06/12 10:03 PM Re: Navigating at Night [Re: Pete]
Kuzushi Offline
Stranger

I like to practice by always trying to find the NS when I'm out at night. A couple of other constellations that can help you find the NS are cassiopeia, it looks like a W. The top of the W open towards the NS. Also, orion can be used but its a little trickier. You take the shorter side 'foot' and 'arm' star and trace through them and thay point to the north star. It gets tricky when orion is lower in the sky. It helps to trace the path in an arc. Imagine the sky as a dome and trace the along the dome. Both take practice since the NS isn't the brightest star, and practce will help you recognize the NS based on its brightness.

Hope this helps.

#238818 - 01/07/12 01:24 AM Re: Navigating at Night [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I prefer to sleep at night. One of the pleasures I take in camping is that of going to bed at sundown and sleeping until sunrise (unless an early start on the trail is required). I've done virtually no hiking at night.

I comprehend the arguments for knowing how to find and use the North Star but haven't yet found a practical use.

(This includes courses in celestial navigation -the theory- followed by 5 years in submarines where we never even tried it in practice. The sextant was inventoried annually to be sure no one had stolen it.)

#238822 - 01/07/12 02:23 AM Re: Navigating at Night [Re: unimogbert]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If one hikes long enough, there will come a time when you will be watching a beautiful sunset, some ways from your destination, and Robert Frost's line will come to mind - "miles to go before I sleep."

More often than not, hiking at night on SAR operations was routine.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 829 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Herman30
Today at 07:37 AM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.