Originally Posted By: Bingley
So, to me, Shane and Rick represent two sets of different psychological and cultural attitudes, and it's not clear to me which one would be best for survival. If we're in that situation, should we continue to uphold some sense of fairness and ethics, or should we embrace Shane's "new world" code of conduct?

While Shane would likely come out on top if it was just him & Rick up against a group of zombies (Otis redux), I'm not convinced he can make the decisions needed for long-term survival in that world.

I mean, they are at a safe, secure location that is also self sufficient with abundant water, food, electricity & even medical care and yet Shane is jumping at the bit to leave and head out into the unknown, zombie infested world to an Army base which, given what we've seen of the Army's effectiveness against the initial zombie uprising, may not even be there anymore. It's basically a repeat of the CDC plan and Shane doesn't appear to have any information to suggest this new "plan" would be any more successful.

He may have lost his moral objection to sacrificing the lives of others for his own comfort & survival, but I don't think he's displayed the capability to choose the environment that is most conducive for survival.

Just because you have the ability to fight doesn't mean you should seek out environments that require you to.