The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238140 - 12/29/11 02:13 AM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: haertig]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Based on your updated criteria that the pot fit inside the stove in the link, have you thought of using a small coffee can which measures 4" OD by 5.5" tall?

John Lubbock

#238144 - 12/29/11 04:04 AM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: hikermor]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
The diameter may not be critical, unless you specifically want it to nicely hold a standard 1L Nalgene water bottle, which is a space-efficient solution to the question of "what are you going to cook or boil water in?" which has been the subject of at least one previous thread. I like my REI TI cookset (cup and pot), which goes with me on every hike, because I'm going to carry a Nalgene water bottle with me anyway, and the additional volume/weight is negligible.

GSI makes a similar-diameter version in stainless (just the pot) for a lot less: GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Cup/Pot

That's what I'd get for occasional use...

Regards,
Steve

#238192 - 12/29/11 05:47 PM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Thanks for the ideas everyone. That stainless steel glacier cup may be the best solution for me. Or a cheap empty coffee can. Bigger cooking jobs would be done with the pot on top of the fire box with a wood fire inside. Warming up a drink would be easier with an Esbit tablet or Trangia stove inside the fire box as a windshield. I was thinking that the "pot inside" idea would provide better wind screening.

#238194 - 12/29/11 06:49 PM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: haertig]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
For my back-up, I'm currently using a large (32 oz) Pirouline cookie SS can with tight fitting SS lid, which holds a med size tin can (1078 mL) which is nested with a small tin can (458 mL) homemade woodstove. (Inside the little can also goes a lrg garbage bag, 1 piece aluminum foil, 2 tea lights, a mini bic, 1 fire steel, 1 tube of vaseline, a film canister of strike anywhere matches and cotton balls.)

The Pirouline can holds every very nicely and it all nests together. It's a pretty light set-up and I can use both the large cans for boiling and cooking in if I need to.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238206 - 12/29/11 09:11 PM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: haertig]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
not exactly an answer to your question, but an option if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive work/car kit...purchased 2 of the Swiss Ranger Volcano stove sets (new old surplus)for $20...you get an aluminum cup w/handle, spun aluminum bottle with cork top, and stove that nest together... opened the fuel feed hole to accept a Sterno can (also Trangia burner)...if heating water in the bottle you need to drill a hole for a cross pin stop higher than the production one...one for the house, one for the car...taped the sterno can to the base of the stove with a length of duct tape...

#238207 - 12/29/11 09:55 PM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: haertig]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Is the diameter really critical?

Yes. I am looking specifically for a pot that will fit down INSIDE this firebox and set on top of it's "firesticks" (little support rods). http://foldingfirebox.com/ The walls of the firebox will come up surrounding the bottom of the pot. This is for when I'm using the firebox as a potholder/windscreen for a Trangia burner.

For sitting ON TOP of the firebox, anything will do.

I was looking at the Firebox too. It is definitely interesting but a bit on the heavy side. The extra versatility with multiple fuel types is somewhat dubious. After all, if you are using an ultralight alcohol stove or use Esbit fuel why would you spend $50 bucks and 2 lbs of weight for a pot stand? Still -- it seems to work quite well as a wood burning stove and it appears to be engineered quite well. Folds down to the size of a DVD case. I wonder if they considered using a thinner gauge of metal for the stove to save a few oz.? Moving to titanium will save weight but will the price point double?

#238232 - 12/30/11 12:44 AM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: haertig]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
+1 on the Primus Litech. I really like the size and the pouring spout on the pot helps prevent spillage.

The link between Alzheimers and aluminum has been discredited. http://bit.ly/sL1VJq

#238234 - 12/30/11 12:48 AM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Yes, the firebox stove is heavy. It is solidly built and very strong and stable. It's not for backpacking though, unless you have a strong sherpa to lug it around for you.

#238246 - 12/30/11 01:44 AM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: Mark_M]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
+1 on the Primus Litech. I really like the size and the pouring spout on the pot helps prevent spillage.
Another +1 on the Primus Litech.

I have several of their 0.9L kettles which come on my trips or go into my various BOB's, BIB's, etc. I've come across them for as little as $5 at garage sales, so why not? I don't need them to be pretty.

By the way, that's a fabulous photo. It ought to be on a Bushcraft or survival "how to" website or book.

HJ

#238250 - 12/30/11 01:49 AM Re: Looking for a emergency cook pot [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Another +1 on the Primus Litech.

I have several of their 0.9L kettles which come on my trips or go into my various BOB's, BIB's, etc. I've come across them for as little as $5 at garage sales, so why not? I don't need them to be pretty.

By the way, that's a fabulous photo. It ought to be on a Bushcraft or survival "how to" website or book.

HJ

That picture makes me want to get out there. It' the epitomy of campfire cooking to me!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 258 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.