Not certain of the value in retreating to precious and semi precious metals in lieu of other negotiable instruments.

The difficulty with this recession is the lack of benchmarks that were present during the Great Depression or even the recession of 1987. Notably the US dollar would have plummeted in value and gold would be sitting at over $2000/ounce. However, this hasn't happened.

This second roller coaster ride was predicted back in 2008 with the initial collapse.

Also, Canada, being a resource based economy would have taken a much more drastic hit owing to the fact that US is still our largest trading partner. Having said that - commodity values are all over the map. Anyone who attempts to predict the price of oil has to have either a strong stomach or ice water in their veins.

There is still reason to be cautious but I would lean more towards diversification rather than exclusion of the entire market for one form of capital.

Just my two cents.