Sorry if I'm mistaken, but IIRC the US issue ones are rated for 'dip' (the technical term eludes me now...I'll probably remember at like 3 in the morning...but I'm talking about the ability of the needle to compensate for local factors that could cause a needle to 'hang up' as it attempts to swing, but is pulled down due to your location). If that's what is meant by 'global' needles, then the lensatic compass is good to go. (If you find yourself in a location where the lensatic compass 'does' hang up...you're probably so far north or south that it won't be of much use anyways...)

And tritium isn't all that bad...as long as the glass or plastic cover remains intact. The old radium compasses, while much brighter and with a longer half life, tended to spray rays where they weren't wanted. But tritium is fine for a dozen years, since the relatively weak radiation can't penetrate most glass/lexan/plastic cases. Only problem is that you've got to replace your gear every dozen years or so...and that can get pricey for a government.

We were issued the Silva Ranger compass as our primary SERE gear (Canada), but most of us...uh...'acquired'... the US lensatic ones while on courses or meets, since, (a) the grass is 'always' greener on the other side and their toys are cooler, and (b) waiting for a replacement to your 'wet' compass won't help if you crack it when you *really* need it.

Just my 2 cents.