Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#237117 - 12/09/11 07:06 PM Never too old to make a difference
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I was reading this LA Times article about a retired Japanese scientist and his fellow retirees who are willing and eager to continue giving back to help clean up at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant and it puts a little lump in my throat to read about their spirit of service and self-sacrifice.

Tom Brokaw lauds the Greatest Generation in America, but these retirees are part of the same generation in Japan that rebuilt their own country literally from ashes into a world superpower again. It really was a different mindset to that Japanese generation that were promised lifetime employment but in return, gave their all for their companies and their country, compared to us today, where most of us are just scrambling to look out for numero uno because we never know where the ax will fall next.

The founder had a mission after the nuclear disaster:

Quote:
Their point is well-reasoned: Why subject young, mostly unskilled workers to the long-term perils of working around deadly radioactivity when there are older people with training who probably will be dead long before the adverse health effects -- including cancer -- come to pass?

Many are trained scientists and engineers but I doubt if much of their expertise is directly applicable to this situation. But they all are willing to put their bodies to work in those dangerous, radioactive environments. I'm not sure how it is in the US, but the dirty little secret at Fukushima Daiichi is that only a portion of the workers onsite are actually TEPCO employees. Most are contract workers, not paid all that well, with only minimal training to working in such hazardous environments. It's unclear how many of the "Fukushima 50" that were lauded as modern day samurai in the days after the earthquake and tsunami for their bravery, and who generated good will for TEPCO, were actually contract workers.

Anyway, TEPCO is not receptive to their offer to help. But it's good to see folks that society see's as "over the hill" trying to continue to give back.

#237126 - 12/09/11 08:47 PM Re: Never too old to make a difference [Re: Arney]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Interesting article, Arney, thanks.

What these seniors are proposing makes a lot of sense. It sounds like the rigors of working in the protective suits was a revelation but surely there is a role for them.

I haven't focused on Japan's post-quake/tsunami situation for awhile. Think I'll Google....

#237127 - 12/09/11 09:12 PM Re: Never too old to make a difference [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Makes sense to me, and I am definitely eligible....

#237128 - 12/09/11 09:32 PM Re: Never too old to make a difference [Re: hikermor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

One other aspect from the article that struck me is the collective sense of responsibility that these retired folks seem to feel towards the younger generations for things that they did so many decades ago. But they want to help make it right. Boy, I wish some of the folks who helped us get into this financial mess in the world would do the same thing and cheer me up the way this article did.

Whatever happened to the ideal of leaving the world a better place than when you arrived?

#237145 - 12/10/11 02:57 AM Re: Never too old to make a difference [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:

Whatever happened to the ideal of leaving the world a better place than when you arrived?

Overwhelming greed.

Sue

#237164 - 12/10/11 06:00 PM Re: Never too old to make a difference [Re: Susan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
Overwhelming greed.

LOL, yes, quite right, Sue! Although that was more of a rhetorical question from me. wink

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 396 Guests and 112 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.