Originally Posted By: Russ
I'd prbably be more inclined to appreciate the electronic compass in my Geko 301 and GPSMAP 60CSx if Garmin designed it so that you could turn it on and off without running through a hierarchical menu. A toggle "menu" on the 60CSx compass page would be very useful. As it is I always leave it turned off.

They do ... and they even mark the buttons with a "compass" symbol to remind you which key toggles the electronic compass on & off. Hold the button down for about a second to toggle between compass on & compass off.

Garmin Geko 301 - Press and hold the PAGE button (the lower right button between the OK button and the Power button with a symbol that looks like two stacked pages) to toggle the compass on & off. There is a symbol to the lower right of the PAGE key (a large "N" with four cardinal arrows above, below, and to each side of the "N") to remind you which bottom toggles the electronic compass on & off.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx - Press and hold the PAGE button to toggle the compass on & off. There is a small symbol with four cardinal arrow pointing up, down, and to each side to remind you which button toggles the electronic compass on & off.

I don't have the Garmin Geko with me right now (I'm traveling in Germany), but on the 60CSx, holding the PAGE button down for about a second results in a display that says "Compass Turned On" or "Compass Turned Off". When you turn the compass on, the 60CSx automatically brings up the Compass Page. From there pressing the MENU key provides access to the Calibrate Compass option.