The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237272 - 12/12/11 05:24 PM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I agree with you that the Garmin 60 series is worth looking into.

I have the older 60CS and it has performed quite well for me.
The 60CSx is better.

My only recommendation is to offer caution about building a used or refurbished model. I've had my navigation students report that they don't last long. Garmin does stand by its warranty.

Best of luck.

Blake

#237281 - 12/12/11 06:21 PM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I've also been considering getting a GPS, but am leaning towards the new eTrex 20.

I was initially thinking more along hikermor's recommendation and getting a non-mapping unit; I just didn't (and still really don't) think the extra cost of a mapping unit combined with the extra cost of the maps was worth it. However, after finding out that there are good quality, (legally!) free maps available for download (e.g., Ibycus Topo for Canada) I was swayed into thinking that the extra cost for a mapping unit alone would be worthwhile.

Looking at the current models, I am really not sure what the more expensive 62 series brings to the table that the new eTrex models don't (at least compared to the eTrex 20 & 30; the mapping units). It seems that the eTrex will do anything I'd need of it.

All that said, this would be my first outdoor GPS so I have no experience owning any model.

#237338 - 12/13/11 06:34 PM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: Denis]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Either selection would be good.

In my GPS classes some folks are just frustrated by the touch screen display, find that it dims out in bright sunlight. Others, especially those with less steady had find the 62 as their choice.

I just did a comparison of the Garmin 20 vs. eTrek Vista and was impressed with the advances in techology.

Best of luck in your search.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#237362 - 12/14/11 12:34 AM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Update.

While Christmas shopping yesterday, i was able to play with a Garmin Dakota, a touchscreen model. Quite unimpressed with the display. My (broken) DeLorme had a vastly higher quality screen resolution.

Having some history using other peoples GPSMAP units I think i am swaying that way again.

@Hikemor, I can completely understand your reticence in fully embracing the hardcore GPS mode of travel. I still prefer map/compass/UTM myself. The more I go along though, with my iPhone, my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus, yada, yada, yada, i am finding myself more and more comfortable with technology encroaching all areas of my life. I just found out my Gtab has an independent GPS system that doesn't require cell service or wifi, very cool. Doesn't mean I'd prefer to carry that adventuring.

#237369 - 12/14/11 03:43 PM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Comms, I think any of the new Garmins would be a good buy, I try not to get into GPS recommendation arguments because it is like recommending knives to me. Everybody has their favorites and you can't convince anything different. If you have a bass pro shop near by, they will have the Montana, 30 and the CSX you can compare. If you want a nuvi and rugged GPS combo the Montana is the only one that will do this and has a very bright display. I use it with voice navigation when traveling. But it is very big and heavy, I am a touchscreen kind of user which steered me away from the 30, and I didn't care for the antenna that sticks out on the CSX, but the helicoil antenna does increase its accuracy and reception quite a bit.

I agree you can't go wrong with the CSX if that is what your after, I didn't want 2 GPSes, one for navigating and one for driving and I needed a big screen and with the updates on the unit has made it a very well GPS for me, but it is a pain lugging that big thing around, but it makes up for it with the feature. I wish there was a comparison on the antenna design on the Montana vs CSX. Anyway go with what is best for your needs, you can't go wrong with Garmin.

#237430 - 12/16/11 03:14 AM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
comms Offline
Veteran

Falcon, thanks man. In fact there is a Bass Pro nearby. And a Cabelas about 40 miles away. It wouldn't be hard to go to either or REI. I have lots of time and ebay and craigslist as well.

Funny story. I got my wife a nuvi 2555LMT for Christmas, she couldn't tell you which way is North. Prints Google Maps for everything. so good for her.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus last month and realized this week it has an independent GPS system in it, that doesn't require wifi, though its necessary for other functions associated with GPS like POI, etc. I can use Android apps even for the back country. Though I will not be taking a fragile tablet for a primary GPS.

#237479 - 12/17/11 12:32 AM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Good deal Comms hopefully you will find something you will like.
Bottom line I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 garmins, it all depends on your requirements.

As for the Montana, I love my Montana, they originally pushed the hardware out before the software was ready. We are at 3.60 REV and I have contributed to one of the revisions. Garmin has been really great with any questions or problems I have had with in 16 hours max. Usually in under 8 hours most of the time. I had bought the unit with Lifetime US and EU maps. There is a cradle that you can buy for the car that gives the voice commands really loud.

Update history

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5335

Reviews

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-650-reviews.html

Comparison against Montana VS the new GPSMAP62STC (Half of the way points as Montana)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=75227&compareProduct=89557

Also note, the max brightness of the unit with batteries gets even super bright when in the cradle. I have noticed that with my Dakota as well. Too bad you are so far out, I would show it to you if I wasn't so far out.

#237526 - 12/17/11 11:05 PM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Sometime I've got to update my old Garmin.
It still works ... but a good one with mapping would be nice.

What I'm wondering is - just how good are these downloadable maps?
I went onto the Garmin web site (which I think is not well designed), and they do have a world map that can be downloaded. But that's not exactly highly specific. Suppose you are on the street in Karachi, Buenos Aires or Nairobi. It should be possible to get city maps from around the world that are downloadable. However, I don't see anyone who is offering this feature. In fact, ironically, it's probably more in the realm of the driving (nav) GPS's than the personal handheld models.

Doesn't really make sense - since Google Earth has got all this info in it. Seems like somebody could be doing a better job out there.

Pete2

#237547 - 12/18/11 06:11 AM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
comms Offline
Veteran

Pete, my response may be amended by others, but the software provided by Garmin from my understanding is not quality. its 24k. The best maps are 100k or more. Those are available for a cost, usually by buying a preset SD card by city, state or region.

I understand that Garmin units allow you to download custom maps to the internal memory that Users create and post online. Those are often free and in great detail.

#237559 - 12/18/11 04:17 PM Re: Need a new GPS. Discuss [Re: comms]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: comms
24k. The best maps are 100k or more.

OOPS!

The largest (both in terms of scale and quantity) and best-known topographic series is the 7.5-minute, 1:24,000 scale, quadrangle, a non-metric scale virtually unique to the United States. Each of these maps covers an area bounded by two lines of latitude and two lines of longitude spaced 7.5 minutes apart. Nearly 57,000 individual maps in this series cover the 48 contiguous states, Hawaii, U. S. territories, and areas of Alaska near Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Prudhoe Bay.

A smaller topographic series, in terms of scale, is the 1:100,000 series. These maps are bounded by two lines of longitude and two lines of latitude. However, in this series, the lines of latitude are spaced 30 minutes apart and the lines of longitude are spaced 60 minutes, which is the source of another name for these maps; the 30 x 60-minute quadrangle series. Each of these quadrangles covers the area contained within 32 maps in the 7.5-minute series. The 1:100,000 scale series is unusual in that it employs the Metric system primarily. One centimeter on the map represents one kilometer of distance on the ground. Contour intervals, spot elevations, and horizontal distances are also specified in meters.

Edited by ponder (12/18/11 04:26 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 572 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.