Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#237150 - 12/10/11 01:39 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis

Personally, I found one I liked and held on to it instead of trying to forage for one every time I wanted to use one. I've had the same one for quite a while now, but its not really finished or anything. I just found one I liked and cleaned it up (took the branches & bark off, cleanly sawed the ends).

I gathered a bunch of nice branches of vaying sizes and did the same thing - trimmed, debarked, and cleaned up all the edges. We used them with the Beaver Scouts to make hobby horses, that they could either use as a hiking stick or toy. I keep eyeing the one I made for myself as a sample, because I really like the staff. It's the perfect height, weight and thickness. I may just disassemble it one of these days. (The horse head is made out of an old wool sock and cotton batten, and is a little too big for the end of a hiking staff for my liking.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237233 - 12/11/11 10:47 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I didn't use hiking sticks for years. After my first down/up of the Grand Canyon I started using them. I like the novelty of a wood staff, (something about the my imagination of being a 12th Level character in a Sword & Magic movie)but I find wood staffs are not my style. I didn't like how I could collapse a pole with just downward pressure until I found Black Diamond poles with their FlickLock mechanism. Love em. I'm also a trail runner too, so being able to collapse and strap to or shove in a pack for a small, light footprint means something to me.

#237488 - 12/17/11 03:00 AM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This thread has inspired me to make myself a hiking staff for Christmas.

I found a great branch a couple of years ago but used it to make a hobby horse at Scout camp. It 's been collecting dust so tonight I put it out of it's misary by cutting the head off of it.

The horse head was made out of a cotton sock, so I left part of it on there, thinking that it could make a good bit of tinder. It's held in place by a dab of glue and about 10 feet of twiney rope, which I also left on. I unwound part of the rope and re-wrapped it around:

-6 strike anywhere matches, sealed in a ziplock bag
-2 condoms (it's a prototype. I'll probably swap these out for something more dependable)
-1 good wire saw
-about 4 feet of duct tape'

Just below this rope, I wrapped 3 feet of leather lace and then secured a bear bell in a little mess bag to the rope, and silenced it with a toonie (Canadian $2 coin).

This weekend I'll add some paracord (to hide the duct tape, make it even more robust kit-wise) and some beads to pretty it up.

It's only half done, but my son likes it so much that he wants to kill his hobby horse now too.

Edited by bacpacjac (12/17/11 03:02 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 357 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.