Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#236914 - 12/06/11 10:49 PM Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters
Exploriment Offline

Loc: Ontario
A publication from the RAF to assist people in understanding the process involved in employing Search and Rescue helicopters.

I sincerely hope no one ever needs to be winched out of some remote and inhospitable place via helicopter. But I suspect that if it were ever to befall anyone, most of us would have no idea what to do when that helicopter arrives on scene. Might be a good idea to read it now, so that if you’re ever unlucky enough to need to be rescued in this manner, you have a sense of what to do.

While it is a UK document, and certain points of procedure might be different in your part of the world, it still has lots of info that applies across the board.

And it is just an interesting document regardless.

Now to ....“get to da PDF of da rescue wits da choppa!”

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/assets/files/The%20Oracle/Other%20agencies/RAF.pdf

Edited by Exploriment (12/06/11 10:52 PM)

#236918 - 12/06/11 11:31 PM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: Exploriment]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
this looks like it has a lot of good information.

i'll have to spend some time with it later.

thanks for the post and link.

#236919 - 12/06/11 11:33 PM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: Exploriment]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
be sure you read section 11, under recovery...let the hoist cable ground before you grab it...the rotor blades generate a tremendous electrostatic charge

#236922 - 12/06/11 11:48 PM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Also very important is to avoid approaching from the rear of the ship. We had a scene some years ago where a lay bystander rushed up to the helicopter, running into the rear rotor, disabling the ship and removing his arm at the shoulder.

#236923 - 12/07/11 12:51 AM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: Exploriment]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
it looks like they do a lot of SR with choppers in the UK,island with mountains and all.not something i would ever have to deal with,i hope,but a good read.

#236924 - 12/07/11 02:32 AM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: LesSnyder]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
...let the hoist cable ground before you grab it...the rotor blades generate a tremendous electrostatic charge

I learned that from watch The Hunt for Red October.

Blue strobes for Landing Zones (LZs) seem to be favored in the U.S., from what I understand.

Edited by ki4buc (12/07/11 02:36 AM)

#236928 - 12/07/11 05:11 AM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: Exploriment]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
There is a lot of info there; maybe too much. Do not get me wrong; I am techni-geek who loves vast amounts of dry procedural data. But, there is a host of folks who do not suffer with my affliction. If it could be condensed for the "average Joe's" usage it would be great. I am sure the "necessary stuff" would easily fit on a single large laminated card or small flip chart. I guess the basics are also covered in a variety of survival guides/manuals/books.

#236931 - 12/07/11 05:45 AM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: Exploriment]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Now to ....“get to da PDF of da rescue wits da choppa!”

I'm sure that someone, somewhere, has been rescued with a Harley Davidson, but a .pdf manual on it??? grin

Sue

#236946 - 12/07/11 07:54 AM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: MoBOB]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
There is a lot of info there; maybe too much. ..... If it could be condensed for the "average Joe's" usage it would be great. I am sure the "necessary stuff" would easily fit on a single large laminated card or small flip chart.....

I agree. While the linked RAF guide has some interesting stuff, it very heavily oriented to specific models of helicopter and equipment, and UK procedures. The essentials are mostly there, but it would be hard for many people to sift out the generally applicable stuff from the specific local (as in UK) procedures.

The best general short version I've seen is in the little book Field Guide of Wilderness & Rescue Medicine , By Morrissey and Johnson, published by Wilderness Medical Associates, 2009. See pages 92-93 for a nice list of key points and an illustration showing what is needed for landing zones, and how to safely approach a helicopter. I have copied out those two pages on waterproof paper and keep them in my day pack.

The Morrissey & Johnson book is oriented towards WMA's WFR training. It is pocket sized and printed on waterproof material. I keep a copy of the book in my larger first aid kit.

#236948 - 12/07/11 02:05 PM Re: Working With Search and Rescue Helicopters [Re: Exploriment]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Thanks for the link. While we have our own SOPs, it was an interesting document and sent it along to our Maryland State Police – Helicopter Emergency Aerial Tactical Team (MSP-HEAT Team) Coordinator to see if we can use the material in any way to enhance our training and response criteria.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 375 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.