We are always part of a group or another. At home we are part of a family. At work we are part of an establishment. And so on. Problem is that even with a long term fairly stable type of a group , like a family, you do have tense moments and stressful times. Ditto for work environment where we have jerks and stupid know-it-all's.

It is already hard to manage such difficult characters in "normal" times. Try to deal with the same when you don't have enough food, or haven't slept for two days or not bathed for 5 days, and you get a real problem. And if you seem to have something ( say a folding saw or survival knife ) that someone else needs badly, you got a bigger problem. And if he doesn't seem to differentiate between your Mora and a prybar, you will be in deep you-know-what.

Oh, and there are such people, trust me. One of our bosses at work fits the description. I just hope and pray that if SHTF while we are at work, that he will not be around.

On the other hand, SHTF sometimes seems to bring out the unexpected BEST of some people. Here in my country we have seen a few disasters where the first ( very first ) responders were teenagers whom we , older folks , didn't really like at first impression. You know what I mean ... Noisy , car skidding, law challenging , social renegades. They jumped IN to save girls from a burning school, they rushed with their jeeps to save kids stuck in school busses in tunnels gradually filling with rain. They seem to always beat the beaurocracy to disaster scenes and exhibit heroic efforts.

It is really not a black and white thing. You just can't judge who is a good guy and who is bad. So, as a guy in the fifties of age, and with a family, I will be more inclined to look around for a family or group of families with kids. Although such a group will have highest level of needs (maybe infants and/or elderly folks there) compared to available resources, and they can't all be workers/providers (since some have to stay put to take care of kids) but seems such a group is the safest to approach and join. Just my perosnal thinking.