Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#235332 - 11/09/11 03:31 PM Re: Nov 9: US Test of Emergency Broadcasting System [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
Even 9/11 was a regional disaster - in the sense that only a regional alert would have been needed.

9/11 was only regional in hindsight. At the time it was unfolding, we had no idea how many planes or targets were involved. In an unprecedented decision, all civilian aircraft in the entire country were grounded in a matter of hours. That certainly sounds like a situation where a national alert and broadcast could have been issued to warn the country what was happening or about to happen.

Because that large asteroid passed very, very close to the Earth yesterday, that certainly would be a reason for a national alert if it were actually on a collision course with the Earth.

You could have another multi-city terrorist attack, say, dirty bombs exploding sequentially in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco, and a threat from the terrorists that more are imminent.

You could be in the midst of a very bad, lethal pandemic or even a suspected bioterror attack in multiple sites across the country and the President orders all borders closed and all air travel to stop immediately in an effort to contain or slow the spread.

You could have another massive financial crisis which the government and the Fed aren't able to control and a real life "run" on the banks ensues eveywhere, so the President orders an immediate, nationwide "bank holiday".

Arguably, a "normal" nationwide broadcast could be used for any of these situations, but so could a nationwide EAS broadcast. Much of it may depend on the temperment of whoever is President at the time.

#235351 - 11/09/11 07:24 PM Re: Nov 9: US Test of Emergency Broadcasting System [Re: bacpacjac]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
It was just this week that:

A - A large asteroid passed near the Earth.

B - The White House chose to deny any knowledge of ET contact with either people or the government.

And they pick now to do a nationwide test of the EAS?

I see black helicopters on the horizon (go to Fort Campbell, they are stationed there, dark grey really) and am prepping my aluminum hat as we speak. Do we think this is a coinkydink?

#235386 - 11/09/11 11:17 PM Re: Nov 9: US Test of Emergency Broadcasting System [Re: JBMat]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JBMat
It was just this week that:

A - A large asteroid passed near the Earth.

B - The White House chose to deny any knowledge of ET contact with either people or the government.

And they pick now to do a nationwide test of the EAS?

I see black helicopters on the horizon (go to Fort Campbell, they are stationed there, dark grey really) and am prepping my aluminum hat as we speak. Do we think this is a coinkydink?

Let's keep the conspiracy theory stuff off of ETS.

chaosmagnet

#235400 - 11/10/11 12:35 AM Re: Nov 9: US Test of Emergency Broadcasting System [Re: bacpacjac]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Easy answer- how much of the media is now nationwide?

Cable and satellite are worthless if they only show their local emergencies- CNN is out of Atlanta, Fox News is from NYC, and MSNBC is... don't remember, NYC or LA. Either way, if those run ONLY their local emergency alerts, they are utterly worthless. Clear Channel Radio is just as bad, maybe even worse.

Now, would I use national for something like hurricane warning or a tornado watch? Generally, no.

I would use them for something like multiple attacks in several cities, or even just several serious attacks in one city, along with the advisory that watchers should tune to local media. A fast, 20-30 second beep and message at the top and bottom of the hour.

It isn't perfect, but what we have now is perfectly useless to reach the sizable portion of the population that just doesn't bother with network television. And of course, the national outlets I'm talking about seem to have all screwed it up.

*sighs* I keep telling myself the current state of affairs will be considered a good thing in three hundred years.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 438 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.