Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#234977 - 11/02/11 05:38 AM Winkler knives
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm not the bashy-smashy type with my tools, but it looks like Winkler stuff can stand up to really hard use. Apparently Winkler has a hatred for white Honda Civics...

Winkler knives

Does anyone have one of these knives/axes? (I find the term "combat axe" a bit quaint for today. But I wouldn't mind one of those if I had to break into a Honda.)

Here's a free safety reminder: keep your trigger finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, and that applies to quick draws, too. This video made my day.

Quick Draw McGraw

Da Bing

#235002 - 11/02/11 07:22 PM Re: Winkler knives [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Go to Bladeforums.com and look up a user called "Edwood7". He's a LEO or soldier down in Mexico and swears by them.

I'm not sure I would want one for utility/survival, but apparently they're very good as weapons...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showth...fense?p=9311865

EDIT: FYI, some of denizens of the "Practical tactical" sub-forum are a little out there. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the posts.

Edited by Mark_R (11/02/11 07:31 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#235005 - 11/02/11 08:50 PM Re: Winkler knives [Re: Bingley]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Here's a free safety reminder: keep your trigger finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, and that applies to quick draws, too. This video made my day.

Quick Draw McGraw

The guy certainly screwed up but as is so often the case, there's more to the story.

#235013 - 11/03/11 12:51 AM Re: Winkler knives [Re: Bingley]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm not the bashy-smashy type with my tools, but it looks like Winkler stuff can stand up to really hard use. Apparently Winkler has a hatred for white Honda Civics...

Winkler knives

Does anyone have one of these knives/axes? (I find the term "combat axe" a bit quaint for today. But I wouldn't mind one of those if I had to break into a Honda.)

That's a pretty cool video. I'm always interested in torture tests of knives and axes, and these look pretty tough. I'm definately not lending my car to that guy though.

#235098 - 11/04/11 04:49 PM Re: Winkler knives [Re: Bingley]
bulletproofvest Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
Try it on a ballistic body armor. Bet it won't scratch a thing.

Here are some torture tests using guns on a ballistic body armor.
http://balistcbodyarmr.livejournal.com/

#235100 - 11/04/11 05:53 PM Re: Winkler knives [Re: Bingley]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Ballistic body armor and knife = stabbed.

Guns are not the equivalent of knives in the area of body armor. A ROTC kid was stabbed and killed while wearing a flak vest - knife went clean thru. Yes, it was a flak vest, but it was kevlar. Bullets may have trouble penetrating a vest, knives don't. It seems knives can go thru the weave while bullets catch and stop. Shrapnel is stopped as it is irregular.

The ceramic stop plates will probably stop a knive. But then again, the stop plates only cover the heart and if you are really lucky, the kidney areas and some of the spine.

#235104 - 11/04/11 06:25 PM Re: Winkler knives [Re: bulletproofvest]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bulletproofvest
Try it on a ballistic body armor. Bet it won't scratch a thing.

Here are some torture tests using guns on a ballistic body armor.
http://balistcbodyarmr.livejournal.com/

You can try it, I already know what's going to happen. I did a lot of work with aramid (Kevlar) and fiberglass composites in college. Kevlar in it dry (probably greig) form is an unholy pain to cut. I had to use recently sharpened shop shears, disposable razors, or ceramic scissors to cut it. That being said, it frayed incredible easily.

Kevlar offers good protection against hacking, some slicing, and ineffective against piercing tools. The fibers just spread out of the way when pierced. Add in a hard plate (remember a knight's plate armor?) and it’ll offer some protection against a piercing tool.

Look at the ratings and construction of various cut resistant gloves to get a better idea of what the soft armor is capable of in regards to protection against bladed weapons.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.