Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#234844 - 10/31/11 05:22 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Lesson #10 Cash is king in a power outage. Carry some spare cash on your person or in your car. I simply keep $50 in $1 dollar bills in a sandwich baggie in the center console in my car, and I feed off that as required - $1s are useful exchange at the weekly farmer's market, and cash is an absolute after a power outage takes out the cash register, credit / debit card readers etc. Try it: when getting home, take any dollar bills and put them in a drawer, do that for a few weeks and see how many you have. Then put those in the baggie, and put that in your car, or keep them in the drawer for a rainy day. I like to keep them in my car because I'm often out and need a few bucks for lunch, the farmer's market, parking meters, etc etc.

Lesson #11 Keep your flexibility, patience, and a sense of humor. And maybe a calculator. The guy behind the check out counter is not your enemy. True story: my brother went into a store during an outage to buy some food. The check out clerk said I'm sorry, the register is down, we aren't selling anything. My brother offered cash, rounding up to the nearest dollar or two (the store would get their prices and may be a just a little more). I'm sorry, there's no way to verify the amount of your sale. My brother tallied up the prices marked *on the items* he wanted to buy, and added 10% (for local sales tax). I'm sorry the clerk said, I can't trust your totals. My brother pulled out his phone, and did the necessary calculations, with the clerk watching. Yes, I'll take your money - but it will mess up my register at the end of the day. At this point an exasperated octogenarian watching the entire exchange said something to the effect, 'oh for f*ck's sake, have you lost the ability to add, or were you never able to? Give him his crackers and cheese!" At which point the clerk gave in, accepted payment, and my brother went on his way.

#234845 - 10/31/11 05:26 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Martin/all..i wonder how people in apartments are doing with no way to have a fireplace or generator.any feedback on that?

You might find this old thread informative.

My response is still the same as back then--you don't have a whole lot of options in an apartment beyond trying to create a small space that you can try to keep insulated and warm. I think it's best for an apartment dweller to have a secondary place they can bug out to for an extended cold scenario, if that's possible.

Since apartment dwellers have fewer practical heating options, they can resort to dangerous methods if they get desperate about the cold. I'd hate to die of CO poisoning or a fire because residents in another apartment are doing something dangerous.

#234855 - 10/31/11 07:20 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Paul810]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Paul810
Ethanol blended fuel is really only bad for older engines and engines that spend a lot of time in humid environments (like boats). Otherwise, newer engines are designed to handle ethanol blended fuel just fine.

Good to know, thank you Paul.

#234856 - 10/31/11 08:04 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

Good to know, thank you Paul.

Just to clarify, that still doesn't mean one should leave fuel sitting in the lines, carb, ect, if they can help it. It's always best to completely drain all the fuel out before placing something motorized into storage for an indeterminate amount of time. Gasoline, regardless of additives, does nasty things as it gets old.

Besides completely draining out the fuel, I also like to do the following before placing equipment with gas engines into storage:
1. Change the oil or completely drain the oil (if it requires oil)
2. Squirt just a little WD-40 into the cylinder(s)
3. Change the spark plug(s)

If I do that, rarely do I ever have trouble getting the engine started again, regardless of how long it sat.

#234857 - 10/31/11 08:26 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: celler]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: celler
Our emergency preparedness organizations have published maps showing both grocery stores and gas stations with backup power. Might be worth the effort to see if such maps are published for your area.

BRILLIANT idea!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#234858 - 10/31/11 08:30 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: MartinFocazio]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

They also ran out of coffee cups and people were yelling at the staff because of it (it's one of those mini-mart places).

That would upset me more than being surrounded by the simply unprepared.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#234861 - 10/31/11 09:17 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Russ]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Russ
Agree with storing small infrequently used gas engines dry. Even with Stabil, over time the gas will go bad. Much easier to just run the engine to fuel starvation. The part about alcohol damage is just one more reason to put them away dry.

Do you guys run your generator every month or so regardless ????

#234879 - 11/01/11 01:21 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: celler]
Fred78 Offline
Stranger

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: celler
Our emergency preparedness organizations have published maps showing both grocery stores and gas stations with backup power. Might be worth the effort to see if such maps are published for your area.

I've recently moved down to the Hollywood area, and was wondering where I could get ahold of said map?

Thanks

#234883 - 11/01/11 01:33 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
MarkO...I'm new to generator ownership, but plan on starting mine once a year... about a month ahead of hurricane season... my older Honda 3500es has a carb bowl drain, so I do run mine dry... my fuel supply is a bulb start siphon line from a 6 gal can, so don't have a separate fuel tank...I start to use the stored hurricane season gas (about 15 gallons) about a month after the season, then refill... I do run a good synthetic oil in the crankcase, and spin it over without the fuel line attached to pre lube it ...small float charger for the battery

#234889 - 11/01/11 03:52 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
I'm pretty new to gen ownership too but I plan on firing mine once a month.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.