Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#234818 - 10/31/11 02:24 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: chaosmagnet]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

How do you store your 20 gallons? I'm using plastic Blitz cans, stored in a corner of my garage away from the door to the house and away from the sump pump. My hot water heater isn't in the garage.

In an Outbuilding (15x20 shed, in four 5 gallon Blitz cans (Plastic). All are stabilized. Every 2 weeks, my iphone beeps at me and reminds me to rotate the oldest gas. One 5 gallon can is dumped into my car and re-filled at the gas station, and put to the back of the row. The oldest gas is always up at the front of the line.

I store the generator with no fuel in it, and when I do the final shutdown once the power comes back, I run it dry so there's minimal residual fuel. I also drain the fuel lines. This was a lesson learned from the service guys who told me it's absolutely necessary due to ethanol damage, and no additive is better than no ethanol sotred in-system.

#234819 - 10/31/11 02:34 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree with storing small infrequently used gas engines dry. Even with Stabil, over time the gas will go bad. Much easier to just run the engine to fuel starvation. The part about alcohol damage is just one more reason to put them away dry.

#234820 - 10/31/11 02:43 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: MartinFocazio]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I also drain the fuel lines. This was a lesson learned from the service guys who told me it's absolutely necessary due to ethanol damage

Yeah I just found out about ethanol's effect on seals & gaskets & stuff. Can't believe there's not more uproar about it in the marketplace.

#234825 - 10/31/11 02:57 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

( warning thread hijack about to occur)

I'm amazed how many people are surprised by large and severe storms. Its one of the few events that is statistically guaranteed in every region, every year.

#234826 - 10/31/11 02:58 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...and even with lights, the store might refuse to check you out -- because they don't know how without a working ( electronic) cash register.

#234828 - 10/31/11 03:16 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
...and even with lights, the store might refuse to check you out -- because they don't know how without a working ( electronic) cash register.

The Cash Registers had their own UPS to keep running and not only this but they can ring up Using Cash and Credit With the Connections down. But I cannot speak for other stores.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Nobody returns flashlights during power outages. I keep about a dozen fauxtons on hand to give away.

http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-stora...02126/index.pro

http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-stora...03653/index.pro

I will be buying a few of these to pass out instead next time.

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
( warning thread hijack about to occur)

I'm amazed how many people are surprised by large and severe storms. Its one of the few events that is statistically guaranteed in every region, every year.

I actually asked a few people did they hear about it. I got "I just thought it was BS" Or words to that effect, more times then I could count.

#234835 - 10/31/11 04:02 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I store the generator with no fuel in it, and when I do the final shutdown once the power comes back, I run it dry so there's minimal residual fuel. I also drain the fuel lines. This was a lesson learned from the service guys who told me it's absolutely necessary due to ethanol damage, and no additive is better than no ethanol sotred in-system.

The manual for my generator says to either run it under load for 20 minutes every fourteen days, or to follow the long-term storage procedure. The long-term storage procedure has me changing the oil, draining the fuel line and the carburetor, squirting a little oil into the cylinder and turning it over a couple of times. So the gas tank will be full but the engine won't have any fuel in it.

#234836 - 10/31/11 04:07 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I also drain the fuel lines. This was a lesson learned from the service guys who told me it's absolutely necessary due to ethanol damage

Yeah I just found out about ethanol's effect on seals & gaskets & stuff. Can't believe there's not more uproar about it in the marketplace.

Ethanol blended fuel is really only bad for older engines and engines that spend a lot of time in humid environments (like boats). Otherwise, newer engines are designed to handle ethanol blended fuel just fine.

#234839 - 10/31/11 04:33 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Martin/all..i wonder how people in apartments are doing with no way to have a fireplace or generator.any feedback on that?

#234841 - 10/31/11 04:57 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: CANOEDOGS]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Martin/all..i wonder how people in apartments are doing with no way to have a fireplace or generator.any feedback on that?

Keeping warm means bundling up, insulating your warmest room, pooling body heat, and possibly a propane space heater. Beyond that, you may or may not be able to bug out. If the power is out and the snow is too deep, your options may be very limited.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.