Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#234638 - 10/28/11 12:39 PM Laptop Batteries
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
OK, the cost of a new factory replacement battery for my laptop is half the price of buying a new laptop. So, I am looking for recommendations on a good source for a laptop battery. If you feel uncomfortable posting it publicly, just PM me with your preferred vendor.

PROMISE: I promise not hold anyone "responsible" for the decision I make in regards to a vendor.

I also understand that none, or most, of you are not affiliated with any of the companies.

I thank you in advance.

#234642 - 10/28/11 01:17 PM Re: Laptop Batteries [Re: MoBOB]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
my brother swears by newegg (formerly Gateway). I got a new laptop battery last year and was actually surprised at how cheap they had become. Hope something works out for you.

#234644 - 10/28/11 01:34 PM Re: Laptop Batteries [Re: MoBOB]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
+1 on newegg.com too. Good vendor, great shipping. I recently purchased a hard drive from newegg.com, and a hard drive enclosure from Amazon. The HD was on my doorstep in about 1 day, the enclosure took a week. Both offered free shipping. I was shopping price, and Amazon had a slightly lower one on the enclosure - I should have figured in the latency of receiving things from Amazon. I would have been totally satisfied to have both the HD and enclosure on my doorstep the next day. Next time I'll remember that. That's the kind of service I expect from newegg.

on the laptop battery, make double sure your OEM battery is specifically designed for the make / model of your laptop. I've seen (at least on Dell laptops) the wrong battery dropped in and suddenly experiencing electrical-related issues during shutdown, power issues etc. It can't be good for an aging laptop.

usual disclaimer - no affiliation with newegg, amazon etc

#234647 - 10/28/11 02:15 PM Re: Laptop Batteries [Re: MoBOB]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Newegg has done very well by me over the years. So has Frys.com.

I would not recommend an aftermarket battery for a laptop. I haven't seen a single one that worked as well as the original. You're probably better off buying a new laptop.

#234702 - 10/28/11 11:37 PM Re: Laptop Batteries [Re: MoBOB]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Seems like newegg is pretty obvious. Personally, I used amazon for my last battery, and simply found one with the best ratings (and a significant number of them; 5 star doesn't mean crap if there is 1 rating).
As for OEM vs aftermarket, personally I had no problem getting the aftermarket battery, and it has worked fine for me so far. Its not rocket science, and there isn't anything the OEM's do that others can't figure out. Everybody is using the same cells, and it isn't complicated electronics. The only real difference is quality control. So long as there are enough ratings (>100), they are high, and the distribution is normal (more 5 star than 4, more 4 than 3,...,more 2 than 1; If there are more 1 star than 2/3/4, then that would usually indicate a problem) I'll consider that decent enough QC.

#234706 - 10/29/11 01:18 AM Re: Laptop Batteries [Re: MoBOB]
Bill_Mead Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs,Florida

#234773 - 10/30/11 01:05 PM Re: Laptop Batteries [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Thanks for the help everyone.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 621 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.