Quote:
citizen B would only need a half way competent lawyer to set things right.

In the Las Vegas case, the hooker was pregnant by the guy the cops killed. With a case like that, she had no problem finding an attorney, and they DID have a field day! So did the media. It was front-page news for weeks. grin I believe the ACLU was also involved. The settlement was a million dollars for the child. I think chief of police stepped down, but I doubt they found him guilty of anything, as mostly they don't in those cases. Esp in a city like LV.

Quote:
But it is not hard to fight back and obtain proper legal recourse.

When the law confiscates your assets, it can limit how much you can fight. How do you pay your attorney? And since no criminal charges are filed against the citizen, I believe he is the one who has to instigate the charges -- it's not a defense case, so is he entitled to a court-appointed attorney? And if the judge (the cops don't act alone, you know) limits what can be offered as evidence, and gives specific instructions to the jury as to what they can and cannot do/think/ask/decide, do you think there would be a guaranteed outcome?

Quote:
Fortunately, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights still works for us, nearly all the time

And it's an uphill battle all the way! We have a government that has been 'interpreting', re-interpreting, debating, twisting, choking, complicating, evading and circumventing the meaning of a very simple, very straightforeward document. I heard somewhere that Abraham Lincoln was one of the first to do this, and he was followed by a stampeding herd who thought it was a great idea.

Hikermor, I truly wish it was more like you see it. And I wish more people in law enforcement saw it the same way.

Sue