I don't mean to hijack this thread but some of your points Pete are interesting but seem to require a response of sorts, as I tend to disagree with some of them:

CPR / First Aid split: I agree that the current split in most combined curriculums (Red Cross and American Heart Assn, I've taken both) is a little out of whack, not enough time is given to adequate first aid instruction, in fact in 2 recent courses FA was mostly an after thought, "you should read the manual" type of topic. Nowadays we add AED deployment to CPR / First Aid instruction, and the general CPR mechanism has been simplified down to compression only, so maybe there's an opportunity for a better time alignment with priorities: deploy available AEDs for maximum survivability, compression CPR until and AED or medics arrive for a chance at survival, and a decent level of first aid instruction, enough to apply pressure, immobilize patients when necessary, and wait for the cavalry / medical assistance.

But a couple points on which we differ: CPR classes now instruct on AED / defibrillators, not just advanced ones - AEDs give the greatest chance of survivability, so the focus is on rapid deployment, and you want some training on that; and CPR only effectiveness isn't as dismal as you portray, particularly when followed by an AED and/or rapid medical response. I agree, there are plenty of scenarios where CPR won't revive a patient, but studies also show that in regions where CPR training is backed by rapid response, survivability is better. And doing CPR while someone comes running with an AED gives you a decent chance at living. The Seattle area is recognized for better survival stats, and that's attributed to early CPR from more knowledgeable lay persons, and faster medical response - plus I'm positive that the availability of AEDs in public places and from law enforcement etc will begin to factor into those stats too. Personally I'm 2 for 3, and the one deceased was out of region, where medical response was approx. 15 minutes from assisting. In 2 successful CPRs medical assistance was 4-5 minutes away, and both patients are still alive and kicking. But small numbers shouldn't convince anyone. Your heart stops and the odds will rapidly fall off in minutes, why not give them the best chance of rejoining the living - train everyone on CPR and AEDs. And support your local medic one levies...

I do agree though you have to look a little harder to find effective first aid training, but wilderness first aid has evolved to be a decent preparedness tool, since the concept that you are going to be responsible for your patients for 24-72 hours in wilderness settings (and need to set your treatment expectations appropriately) dovetails nicely with typical disaster scenarios, where paramedics won't be available. The 'problem' with traditional first aid training is the availability of medical response, and the likelihood that 99.99% of people won't encounter more serious trauma and be expected to deal with it. That's a good problem to have, but I'd like more people to have WFA training for non-wilderness situations. It is becoming more mainstream through organizations like the Red Cross, and I think eventually folks like the Boy Scouts will start to train future generations according to WFA principles. Be prepared etc.