Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#233859 - 10/17/11 06:04 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I got a 12oz clear plastic (nalgene) hip flask from MEC (similiar to REI but Canada). I use it to transport drinking alcohol (usually rum) when I am out camping. It has an outer blue container that is supposed to guard against UV light affecting the contents. Simply marking the flask or even painting it red (hint: put a strip of tape on the side before painting then you will have a strip of clear plastic to guage the contents level easier) should be sufficient to prevent its use as anything but a fuel container. The lid is designed to be leak proof in the first place. In my personal experience, the alcolhol has always never dripped and found its way to my mouth with no loss! smile

Of course you could also buy some alchohol in similar plastic hip flasks from the store and just reuse them as well.

Correction: MEC used to sell these. But I am guessing with the BPA scare that they've been taken off the market. Too bad because they stow a lot more efficiently than a round bottle.

Edited by Roarmeister (10/17/11 06:11 PM)

#233876 - 10/17/11 09:16 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Roarmaster,

Those are good flasks, and still to be found in the states. I always thought the blue hard slip cover was for when packing it externally on a backpack and it was crushed into a hip bottle pocket you could just lift the bottle out, the slip acting as a holster. Didn't think about UV.

I used that for trail hooch but then gave it to my kids. Wasn't big enough for the drinking we do out there. hmmm.

I also like that there is a 1oz plastic shot glass fitted to the cap. It's very sturdy, never once thought it would pop off.

#234088 - 10/20/11 09:45 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

The twin neck bottle bill suggested is not to much unlike most fuel mixture bottles found in most gas stations / Stores that sell lawn mower and chainsaw type equipment. Dont know the costs of most these products but you wouldnt be paying S&H.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (wileycoyote), 652 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.