There is a gap between what information that is "readily available online" and what pilots, commanders, soldiers and (naval/land/air) officers actually are able to relate to. More often than not this gap hinders the flow of information from the services to the people that actually need that information.

Realizing why this gap exist can be rather hard when you have a comfortable desk job with all the time in the world to research new services (like I do). Fortunately I meet regulary a bunch of personell that tells me their point of view in rather blunt and unofficial terms.

It's not about being to lazy or incompentent to check information "readily available", but it has A LOT to do with having to perform the job you're supposed to be doing, which leaves little or no time to fiddle around with "new and promising" web services, punch numbers manually or scrutinize obscure map plots.

I'll look into this nice and nifty device. I'm sure it's a step in the right direction. I also don't think it goes far enough in that direction.

Yes, fuel consumption, air speed and so on is airplane specific. But unless you fusion that specific information with forecast wind at the level you'll be flying there is still a gap between the raw information (upper level wind) and the answer needed (how far can I fly/how much fuel do I need today?).