Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#233738 - 10/14/11 01:48 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Susan
HikerJim, I'm not afraid of a cop pulling me over for having it, but I do fear someone else drinking from it. My current alternate driver is a young male idiot. Need I say more?

Sue
Yeah, I'm always a bit hesitant to use anything for fuel storage that looks like a drink bottle. "Bottled water" bottles are excellent, but I'm afraid that someone will take a deep gulp without smelling the contents or something like that. Having a young child at home only increases my fears.

I'd say it's a good idea to use a fuel bottle that looks substantially different than a drink bottle.

HJ

#233746 - 10/14/11 03:24 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
But isn't denaturated alcohol AWFULL to drink and smell? It is where I live, but regulations and products may be very different where you live. Where I live it requires the determination of a very alcoholic person to drink any denaturated alcohol.

That being said, I'm all for keeping fuel in containers not mistanken for drinking bottles.

Ingest a small amount of denaturated alcohol and you spit it out - nothing bad happens. Ingest a very tiny amount of kerosene (parafin) and you spend hours and hours in squatting in what we call the Jockey's position, wishing very dearly for the comfort of walls and a toilet seat. Don't know about white gas, but I don't think it has the same effect as kerosene - at least not in the tiny quantities you're bound to absorb in the tiny microsecond before you spit it out (or vomit).

#233747 - 10/14/11 03:53 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
You would think that, wouldn't you? But I've read that ingestion of fuels is a big problem in places like South Africa where fuel is often placed in drink containers. Apparently one has to bring one's own container to purchase fuel. SA has a lot of poverty, and drink containers are often plentiful and already on hand.

HJ

#233757 - 10/14/11 06:05 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Methanol eats the fatty tissue surrounding the optic nerve.

Very dangerous!.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#233758 - 10/14/11 06:21 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: leemann]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Keeping anything non drinkable in a container that can be mistaken for a drinking container is just asking for trouble....

I can hear the comments now - "Stupid! Idiots!", etc... and you would have a point.

#233764 - 10/14/11 09:03 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Can't help but think all this talk about using plastic water bottles the last few days was stirred up by me, as I mentioned I've done it in the past. grin

I said its not my usual carry but I've done it. Disagree if you want. Think its inappropriate if you want. All you who think as such are right, but I don't live in a world of rainbows and unicorns. I live in realityville. It's expedient, it's UL. It works. No one I hike with brings 16.9oz water bottles so its a unique item in the group. Plus it's well marked. And 9 times outta 10 the leftover gets poured back into the original can or my MSR bottle.

My kids, if they ever got into my gear cabinet, which they don't, would never confuse it for an old half full water bottle and drink from it. And they've been raised well enough (or spoiled enough, hmmm) to not drink out of a water bottle that they don't know who drank from it or how long it sat out. I have Denatured alcohol in a MSR bottle that is not otherwise labeled as fuel, and I drink from other stainless bottles around the house. My kids have never thought one was the other.

#233777 - 10/15/11 07:00 AM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've read that ingestion of fuels is a big problem in places like South Africa where fuel is often placed in drink containers. Apparently one has to bring one's own container to purchase fuel. SA has a lot of poverty, and drink containers are often plentiful and already on hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if systematically alternating between using a bottle for drinking water and the same bottle for fuel would cause some health issues.

Accidental sipping from the wrong bottle ONCE isn't quite the same thing.

Yes, I've also used PET soda bottles for fuel (clearly marked, mind you). Do I recommend it? No. Do I want to make it a regular routine? No.

#233807 - 10/16/11 05:12 AM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Auto shop HEET gas anti freeze should fit your bill.

#233831 - 10/16/11 10:21 PM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Consider recycling a Purell (or equivalent) container. They are available in various sizes. The original contents (62%) burn just fine in alcohol stoves and thus have a double use.

#233842 - 10/17/11 05:43 AM Re: Smaller containers for decanted denatured alcohol? [Re: hikermor]
LED Offline
Veteran

The Nalgene 250ml bottles w/flip top work really well. Guaranteed to be leakproof I think.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.