Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Here is a comparable setup using a propane/butane gas burner setup
Hi Gear Blaze Titanium Gas Stove 49g
Primus Clip-On stove windscreen 60g
Primus Stove Foot Rest 22g
Alpkit MytiPot 1350ml pot + lid (doubles as frypan) + handle 172g
100 g Gas Cartridge 165g
Total - 468 g

The Primus clip-on windscreen is mostly open and isn't much of a windscreen.

There isn't a vast weight difference between a small gas burner and an alcohol stove, but there is a vast difference between the wind protection of something like a Caldera Cone (very good) and a Primus clip-on (particularly poor). There are other windscreen options for small gas burners that will give you better coverage. I've got some listed on my blog: Windscreens

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Alcohol stoves aren't really considerably lighter except for the occasional single overnight stay where the liquid alcohol fuel weight can be dialed in specifically for that 1-2 day trip. Even then the weight difference of less than 100g still doesn't really outweigh the other major advantages of using a gas burner.
I've seen a lot of different sets of numbers from guys doing actual cooking on the trail. In general, the break even point seems to be about 5 to 7 person days. If you're out for less than that, an alcohol stove is lighter. If you're out for more than that, a gas stove is lighter.

But they're pretty close. Some of it comes down to personal preference, and just how much emphasis you put on weight. There are "gram weenies" out there for whom a 10g difference is a big deal, and they're willing to do the work to shed those 10g.

Alcohol stoves generally fit my approach to cooking while backpacking (KISS), and I like that the Caldera Cone is efficient and consistent.

Small gas stoves excel in speed, flame control, and convenience, but they generally suck in wind. The Caldera Cone excels in wind. I was camped a couple of weeks ago at 10,500'/3200m. It was windy. I was really glad I had brought the Caldera Cone and not a little gas stove.

HJ