Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#233027 - 09/30/11 07:34 PM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: cfraser]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: cfraser

I have never seen a woman smoke a pipe

Granny Clampett, I believe. Which might explain its lack of popularity with women.

#233053 - 10/01/11 01:38 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Frisket]
gimpy Offline

Loc: PNW
How about a 'long view' perspective?
Whether you inhale or not, tobacco smoke enters the system by way of the membranes (skin) of the mouth. Example: Holding nitro pills under your tongue for quickest pathway to the bloodstream without injection.
If you smoke/use ANY tobacco product, it greatly increases your risk of illness/infection/cancer. Tobacco has been proven to suppress the users immune system, making an individual more susceptible to any and all infections and cancers.
Pipe smokers have a greater risk of mouth and lip cancers by more than just a slight amount. If you smoke a lot, tooth loss to gum infection becomes LIKELY (and the breath becomes foul as the infection has its way.....)

When I was young, I lived like I was indestructible, too.
When the calender has 'beat on you' for several decades, and you have lost quite a few friends/relatives, your perspective changes.

Sorry, I wouldn't rain on a good/healthy/constructive parade......
This one needed a reality check.

Survival, indeed.
gimpy

#233065 - 10/01/11 10:08 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Frisket Offline
Addict

There are plenty of negatives to everything you do in life.

Originally Posted By: nursemike
...I am certain that I have missed some...

The one and only concern of mine...Morale.

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Pipe tobacco is a luxury anyway, don't go cheap on the tobacco.

They way you put the tobacco in the pipe matters. Google for some pipe preparing tips.

Ive So far smoked 2 half packs and while it wasn't as enjoyable as a cigar it was still enjoyable. Personally the CB Cherry didnt seem to have any form of body to it at all it felt to light in scent as well. Packing didnt seem to be that difficult especially just a half pack as apparently I need to do for the first 12 times to create a proper cake which bugs me but hey it comes with the territory of new experiences.

#233066 - 10/01/11 10:12 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: cfraser]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: cfraser
As others said, you don't really get a lot of "smoke" out of it per se, the other people in the room get far more lol. The pipe tobacco doesn't have the thousands of chemicals that cigarette tobacco does. You probably end up actually throwing away most of the pipe tobacco you "smoke".

As I prefer to call it "body", dunno really if anyone else does, the cigar smoke/tobacco I have didnt produce as much for my liking But I was "exhaling" Just as much smoke as I would a cigar so Dunno still learning I be.

#233091 - 10/01/11 09:27 PM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: ]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I asked my Dad (long time smoker and pipe smoker in recent years)...and apparently according to him you're not meant to inhale pipe smoke. It's more of a flavor thing for the mouth than inhalation.

I know of this, I stated exhale in quotes since even tho your not inhaling your still exhaling to push the smoke out in a sense.

#233100 - 10/02/11 01:10 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I'm not a smoker, but when I was a kid, there was an old woodsman that lived nearby. He always had skins stretched, meat smoking, knives he made, and animals carved out of wood. It was a fascinating place, and we all went there whenver we could. One of the things I remember about him was the pipe tobacco he used. It was the best smell on Earth. I remember the name of it was Mapleton, and it had a maple leaf on the package. I did a quick search just now, and couldn't find a source , so I don't know if is still being made. Here's a picture of an old ad for it though. Maybe the pipe shop can get it.

Attachments
mapleton.jpg

#233108 - 10/02/11 03:10 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Frisket]
LeRoy Offline
Stranger

Saw your question..., I gave up cigarettes in 1960 to save money for a motorbike, 3 weeks later I was smoking a pipe. My experience is strictly on the job. The pipe kit you bought is high quality, but owning one pipe will never do. I light a pipe once every hour or so, a good pipe should not be used over long periods and needs to rest from time to time. I rotate 2 to 3 pipes daily and cycle through a favorite set of 25 pipes. Pipes can become sour or saturated and may require up to a month to dry out if over used.
Filters, The Savanelli pipe and balsa filter are very good, excellent pipe. A system I used for many years, about 15 years ago I switched to the German style 9mm activ-charcol filter which to my mind is the best, very effective although it does reduce flavor. I have modified most of my pipes to use this filter. I have found that I must import the filters from Germany as they are not available everywhere.
Tobacco, mainly Edwards Blends over the Internet because variety where I reside (Australia) is very restricted.
Hope this helps.

#233135 - 10/03/11 04:23 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Thanks for all the tips and info! I greatly appreciate it.

So far I love it =D Hope to Try a crap ton of Tobaccos out with it and hopefully find my "signature scent". Maybe then Ill get a meerschaum to use for that specific blend only.

#233410 - 10/09/11 01:29 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: gimpy]
duckear Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: gimpy
How about a 'long view' perspective?
Whether you inhale or not, tobacco smoke enters the system by way of the membranes (skin) of the mouth. Example: Holding nitro pills under your tongue for quickest pathway to the bloodstream without injection.
If you smoke/use ANY tobacco product, it greatly increases your risk of illness/infection/cancer. Tobacco has been proven to suppress the users immune system, making an individual more susceptible to any and all infections and cancers.
Pipe smokers have a greater risk of mouth and lip cancers by more than just a slight amount. If you smoke a lot, tooth loss to gum infection becomes LIKELY (and the breath becomes foul as the infection has its way.....)

When I was young, I lived like I was indestructible, too.
When the calender has 'beat on you' for several decades, and you have lost quite a few friends/relatives, your perspective changes.

Sorry, I wouldn't rain on a good/healthy/constructive parade......
This one needed a reality check.

Survival, indeed.
gimpy

Lots of BS in your reply.

"Tobacco has been proven to suppress the users immune system, making an individual more susceptible to any and all infections and cancers."

Any? All? Really? Reference please.

"Pipe smokers have a greater risk of mouth and lip cancers by more than just a slight amount."
Most lip cancers IME were from sun exposure and not tobacco related.
I have treated far more women that were non-smokers for tongue cancer than pipe smokers for oral cancers.

Tobacco, in moderation, is not the eeeeevillllll many make it out to be. Addicting? Yes. A good habit to start? Probably not. But a bowl or cigar a time or two per month vs 2 packs per day for twenty years is apples and oranges.

"This one needed a reality check."

Yes, it did.

#233411 - 10/09/11 01:30 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: duckear]
duckear Offline
Addict

oops, double tap

Edited by duckear (10/09/11 01:30 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 765 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.