Dagny; sorry if my post hijacked your thread.

A couple of observations (non-political) after a number of years experience:

It is true that the ADA covers emergency egress and there are guidelines. But guidelines are not code and depend on the local implementation and the builders/managers implementation. Our actual on the ground experiences in and around the DC area with a family member in a wheelchair is that yes, you can get in, but if you use an elevator to get in, don't depend on it to get out, and there are no visible alternatives to the stair. Emergency egress seems to be, ummmh, forgotten and/or invisible. You are on your own.

There are solutions. This evac chair seems a simple one:
http://www.evacutrac.com/?gclid=CIz_mJfsu6sCFcjc4Aodh0szuA (no affiliation). There is also technology available to make elevators safe to use in an emergency. Again, a local code issue. I am surprised and pleased that AKSAR's workplace is so prepared--- they deserve a big thanks.

Our experience is that public places and buildings (e.g. restaurants etc.) are the worst for egress, and office buildings are better and museums (for some unknown reason), have been the best.

It is second nature now for me to look at this egress issue. I am not optimistic of major changes.

I can't even get one of the local supermarket chains to follow the guidelines for the number of handicapped parking spaces in its parking lot. mad

Again, sorry for the thread hijack.