If you go to http://www.tractorsupply.com you'll find large water tanks. The only think I can imagine doing is:

For spotty outages have a large tank maybe the 550 gallon one for about $350, put it on my flatbed trailer (we put 4' sides on it, but it will work), find someone with water, and use that.

Of course we'd need to sanitize it with bleach on occasion. That will take even more water.

For long term outages ... well, I don't really have any ideas on that. Our property has a wetland, but that isn't suitable for drinking. In days of old folks would dig a well and hand pump OR have their place on a waterway (lake, river), but we don't have that option right now.

Since the outage we had I have a generator, though I still have to set up the transfer box to bring the power into the house. Need wife's approval to spend that money and haven't gotten it yet. If worse came to worse I could hardwire the generator to the house's water pump circuit. Not legal, but it could be done.

BTW, I am trying to stay in the habit of starting & running the generator on the 1st day of each month to make sure its running fine and to cycle the fuel. Its some Chinese brand out of Home Depot, but it starts and runs REALLY well. The funny thing is that the generator my buddy bought that has Honda and Honeywell labels on it looks like mine with some minor difference in the controls. Even the engine looks very similar. Interesting. Maybe mine is a knock off.

Now I need to find/build some kind of shelter to allow the generator to run in rain/snow (its a portable 30amp kind). I could always put up some kind of tarp short term I suppose.