Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#232377 - 09/18/11 04:47 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Just an FYI, I soaked one of the peanut lighters in a glass of water for an hour and it lit on the first strike.

What makes me uncomfortable is the ruggedness of a peanut lighter depends entirely on the seal at the O-ring. If the O-ring breaks or if the lighter otherwise fails to have the seal, then you have a lighter that is suddenly on the delicate side. Without the seal, the lighter will have basically zero water resistance. I would expect a peanut lighter to be entirely inoperable for the remainder of a trip if the mechanics are exposed to heavy water. Also, the lighter fuel will leak relatively quickly on a peanut lighter without an O-ring seal.

In contrast, a mini Bic just needs to air out for awhile if it gets wet. Also, the mini Bic doesn't have a gas leak issue (at least not for me).

Here's an invention idea: a lighter with a head unit as rugged as a mini Bic lighter, but with a covering like the peanut lighter, and less than $10. My temporary homemade solution would be to put a mini Bic inside a larger capsule that's waterproof. I would bring this setup if I'm venturing into extreme conditions somewhere, along with other other fire starters of course.

#232401 - 09/18/11 11:56 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
A whole lot of stuff depends on O ring to keep them working, flashlights, watches, cameras, stoves etc. I think you are over worrying a bit.

#232405 - 09/19/11 12:18 AM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
There's nothing wrong with a cheap peanut lighter, or a bic, or a box of matches or anything else.

You need to test your equipment before you use it, know its limitations, and keep a backup for stuff that is critical or that you rely on.

#232406 - 09/19/11 12:33 AM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm not necessarily advocating carrying a $2 Chinese peanut lighter as one's only fire starting method. wink I'm just pointing out the results of my preliminary tests. While it does rely on an O-ring I agree that lots of things rely on them. Overall O-rings are fairly robust, and the way the lighter is constructed it's hard to imagine just how the O-ring would be subjected to much shock or stress. You could get aftermarket gaskets or carry spares if you were really worried.

#232428 - 09/19/11 02:52 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I got two of these as well. They are too small for my hands and lose fuel to quickly. The 'o' ring's disappeared quickly.

I tried an experiment that I left unfinished, but looked promising. I pulled the lighter insert out of the peanut case. I then poked a PT soak cotton ball into the container, teasing out a wick, making a permanent match.

A few sparks from the empty 2nd lighter, lit the match with no trouble.

It's still hard for me to use for it's size, but this seems like a promising approach to making it more durable for long term storage.

#232436 - 09/19/11 05:31 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting...what do you mean by "disappeared"? Do you mean they degrade or they fell off/got lost? I'll keep an eye out for that. Maybe I'll look for better gaskets. Again, I don't suppose I'll mess around with them much since they were so cheap.

I'm headed out this afternoon for an overnighter at a nearby state park. I'll take one of the lighters with me along with my other stuff.

#232441 - 09/19/11 05:43 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have a revision of a previous statement. Looking at some notes, I recall now that I was unsuccessful twice at buying fitting O-rings for my peanut lighters. If anybody wants to try their own buying, note the following O-rings are too thick:

http://www.oringsusa.com/catalog/product...it26noks59osvg3

http://www.amazon.com/-013-O-Ring-Durome...0034&sr=1-1

If you find the right size, please share. Don't be scared by that pic. The actual O-rings I have look like they could fit, but they're just a fraction of a mm too thick. There's no room for anymore thickness on these peanut lighters. The extra thickness makes the O-ring slide off.

#232446 - 09/19/11 06:21 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
I have a Spy Capsule Keychain Lighter from EDC depot that I filled with fuel 10 months ago. I don’t use it, don’t smoke, I just wanted to see how long the fuel would last. I lit it once a day for a while then went to once a week. Now I only light it about once a month and guess what? It has lit every time so far. I guess the O-ring keeps the fuel from evaporating as well as keeping the water out. Compared to a Bick, of which I have many, you can light the peanut and set it down. For what its worth.

http://edcdepot.com/spycapsulekeychainlighter.aspx

Edited by CAL (09/19/11 06:25 PM)

#232451 - 09/19/11 06:58 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That's a pretty cool looking little lighter, and cheap too.

#232465 - 09/19/11 09:11 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: CAL]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

A nice thing about lighters generally is that you can wrap the lighter with bike inner tube and you have a complete firing starting system in a relatively tiny package. (I prefer to use inner tube as tinder, rather than keep the lighter going.) The inner tube also dampens clanking with other gear.

Originally Posted By: CAL
Compared to a Bick, of which I have many, you can light the peanut and set it down. For what its worth.

http://edcdepot.com/spycapsulekeychainlighter.aspx

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same lighter from DX (China).
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/super-mini-vintage-oil-lighter-3734
You said you can light your lighter and set it down. Did your lighter come with a flat bottom?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 834 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.