Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#232467 - 09/19/11 09:32 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Just thought I'd add 2 cents about the "unwaterproof" mini Bics. What I do with all my Bics that are in kits is put a tight rubber cap over the important end; keeps water/dust out and might even prevent accidental gas release by lever getting pressed.

These rubber caps are the things you put on your fingertips for paper handling. No. 2 (typ. yellow) is perfect for a regular Bic, No. 00 (typ. red) is right for the mini Bic. Stationery/dollar stores, very cheap for a pack, other odd-ball uses.

#232487 - 09/20/11 01:57 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The DX ones don't have a flat bottom, they have a rounded lanyard loop. I just got back from an overnight trip to a local state park where I played with the lighters a bit. Overall they worked just fine but are pretty vulnerable to wind.

They're very small and easy to keep on one's person, so I do like that, but for the strength of the flame I'd give the nod to the mini-Bic. I will probably keep using them both.

#232488 - 09/20/11 02:10 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I was wondering if the lighter in CAL's link has a flat bottom.

Regarding the issue of wind, that's another important consideration of course! I have found that even a Bic is difficult in a moderate wind. There's no replacement for testing gear. It exposes issues one may not have otherwise considered!

#232521 - 09/21/11 12:09 AM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: Phaedrus]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Pheadrus, 'o' ring disappeared, got lost, under night time zero light, outdoor, in the woods test conditions. The 'o'ring on mine were very loose once you opened the lighter.

#232538 - 09/21/11 03:45 PM Re: Got my pair of peanut lighers from DX today [Re: ireckon]
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
Ireckon, No it does not. They did not have this one http://edcdepot.com/spycapsulelighterwflatbottom.aspx when I bought mine. If I had seen this one, I would have purchased it. It is the same price as the one with the round bottom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 340 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.