It takes a while to work out how the rythm and teamwork of a canoe. It is a good idea to swap places to see what works out best.

Yes, the strongest and heaviest in the back is the usual configuration. But don't take it for granted that this is the best solution for you and your husband. Try out different configuration and see what works and what doesn't.

A redistribution of weight can also get you there: If you want to continue to be in the captain's positon (to the rear) then put a rock or a couple of gallons of water behind you. You may also shift the luggage around.

The goal is to trim the canoe so it is ever so slightly deeper in the back than in the front. It is much easier to steer. If your husband now applies all his muscle power then you just steer while he does the propulsion... wink (As long as he is well behaved, that is - I have no problem wrecking the steering of my wife from that position if I want to. But then I'm about 60 pounds heavier and twice as strong as her... But if I'm well behaved and the canoe trim is good then it's no problem for her to steer)

Happy padling! smile

Myself, I usually sit in the back - that's the best place to put me with my big ego. (On the other hand, I'm not only stronger and heavier, but I'm also a better paddler. Not that it matters much on the family oriented splashes we do now - no challenge at all, except to keep the kids fed and warm ...).

Edited by MostlyHarmless (09/05/11 06:10 PM)