http://morsecode.scphillips.com/

smile

The intertoobs be amazing!

#231107 - 08/30/11 11:14 PM Re: Something Old, Something New [Re: Susan]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia

Originally Posted By: Susan
- .... . .-. . .--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-.. -.-- .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -. --- - -... . -- ..- -.-. .... .. -. - . .-. . ... - . ...- . .-. -.-- --- -. . .-- .- -. - ... .. -. ... - .- -. - .-. . ... ..- .-.. - ... - .... . .-. . .. ... .--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-.. -.-- .- - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. --- -. .-.. .. -. . --- .... -.-- . ... - .... . .-. . .. ... . ...- . -. .-- .. - .... ... --- ..- -. -..

I guess that's why no one learns morse code. But I think that knowing how to SEND and RECOGNISE SOS ...---... is still valuable. It is an unmistakable signal and cannot easily be mistaken for any naturally occurring phenomenon.

Some lights have a built in strobe or SOS modes, which could be useful. Using a built in flash mode will generally prolong the battery life, so use it if you can.

If you have a simple on/off light, you can still flash it by turning it on/off, or by turning it on and then covering the lens with your hand to create a flash (unless you have a light with a built in signalling flash button). Another way is to rotate the light, like a light house, at a steady speed.

IMO a slow, steady paced flash (or an SOS) is easier for a searcher to recognise from a distance. If you flash too fast it tends to look like a steady light (from a distance).

SOS can be used with lights and sounds and even markings on the ground, so it is very versatile and is internationally recognised.

#231210 - 09/01/11 03:20 AM Re: Something Old, Something New [Re: Aussie]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
SOS can be used with lights and sounds and even markings on the ground, so it is very versatile and is internationally recognised.

But do you think it will continue to be?

I think I was born knowing SOS. Can't remember ever not knowing it.

Sue

#231214 - 09/01/11 04:12 AM Re: Something Old, Something New [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Hi all, first post here. Leaving morse code aside for the moment and getting back to the OP, I'm still left wondering if this rescue was really necessary?
Originally Posted By: hikermor
....Rangers rescued a 28-year-old climber just before dark last Friday after he became stranded near the top of the Grand Stand below the North Face of the Grand Teton. .....just before 5 p.m., the Teton Interagency Dispatch Center received notification .... that a SPOT rescue locator had been activated somewhere on the Grand Teton. Rangers flew to the area by helicopter to assess the situation. ..... The climbers gave a thumbs down sign, so rangers responded by writing the word "rescue?" and the climbers gave a thumbs up, indicating they were in trouble and needed help. ...... From there, one ranger was inserted via short-haul to Selwyn's location just after 8 p.m. Once on scene, the ranger prepared Selwyn for a short-haul evacuation off the mountain to the Lupine Meadows rescue cache on the valley floor. Selwyn was uninjured and released soon after landing. ..... By the time rangers reached Selwyn, his climbing partner had begun to backtrack the route.....Selwyn's partner decided to spend the night on the mountain and begin his retreat again at first light on Saturday. The climbing partner reached the Lower Saddle of the Grand Teton early on Saturday morning.
Apparently the climber was not injured. His partner successfully self rescued, solo. Helicopter short haul rescues are not without risk. In addition, this one was done under pressure from impending darkness. I try not to be judgemental, since I don't know all the facts. Still, I have to wonder if this wasn't a case of using the SPOT because it was available, not because it was really necessary?

I have absolutely no problem with someone using SPOT or a PLB when life or limb is endangered. And it is usually better to initiate a rescue before things get totally out of control. On the other hand I also believe strongly in the concept of self reliance, and that one should make every reasonable effort to get oneself out of trouble, before calling in the cavalry.

#231216 - 09/01/11 04:44 AM Re: Something Old, Something New [Re: hikermor]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Welcome AKSAR.

You make a good point, its interesting that the partner self rescued, but without the details its hard to judge the situation.

From a closer reading of the article, it looks like the two climbers may have been seperated, and perhaps one panicked a little ?

It could be that the rescued climber was exhausted and couldn't move, or perhaps lacked the confidence or equipment to continue.

Looks like the other self rescue climber proceeded appropriately and was safe. Perhaps you're right about a case of use it because you can, not because you have to, if he didn't have the SPOT perhaps he would have been able to self rescue too ?

Edited by Aussie (09/01/11 04:47 AM)

#231223 - 09/01/11 10:50 AM Re: Something Old, Something New [Re: AKSAR]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I also want to add my welcome ASKAR and I 100% agree with your assessment. The inability of rescuers to communicate with the people who activate a beacon whether it be of the PLB or SPOT variety will continue to create issues for SAR. SAR is headed to the scene expecting the worst when all we may have is a lost hiker who has simply given up hope of getting out but is otherwise in good shape.

I am hoping the new generation of two-way communicators like DeLorme's InReach will negate some of the waste of resources. Its not even out yet and will take some time to catch on, but I'm willing to bet SPOT (Globalstar), Garmin, and others are working on versions which will make these issues a thing of the past.

#231230 - 09/01/11 12:46 PM Re: Something Old, Something New [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
AKSAR, comes out on the first post with a solid hit. good job. Welcome to ETS forum.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 618 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.