Okay ... a Garmin Foretrex 301 arrived and first thought was "wow, thing thing is small." The display is the same size as that on my Geko 301, but the overall package is much more compact; it has about the same thickness (probably dictated by batteries and display), but it's just slightly narrower and about 2/3 as long.

BTW, I can't find any way to show Lat/Long other than to Mark the location as in creating a waypoint. None of the fields I tabbed through listed location as an option. If someone can find that option, please correct me.

Edit: I'll correct me now that I've played with it a bit outside where it could get a location and update time from the constellation. If you go to the Trip Computer page, four fields are visible and you can select what is in those fields from a list of options. What I didn't see before taking it outside, is that the page continues down if you scroll with the arrow keys. Right below the four visible fields at the top, are additional fields, one of which is full width defaulted to Location. Below that is a full width field defaulted to Elevation and at the bottom is a full width field defaulted to Time (of day).

The compass page has a compass pointing to your next waypoint or final destination (as required) and two fields to the left in which you can display info from a list of options; location is not one of those options.

It seems that the Foretrex 301 is primarily set-up to show your location relative to waypoints you create as you travel or pre-load before you leave home. However, everything you need including location (lat/long, UTM and a bunch of other formats) is available if you look for it.

It's really small. I pulled the Lithium batteries out of my Geko to use in the Foretrex and will store the Geko along with pack of AAA's in my EDC backpack. Everything I had done with the Geko can be done with the Foretrex with the exception of the baro altimeter which I specifically declined.

I like it.

Edited by Russ (08/27/11 01:58 AM)