Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#230600 - 08/25/11 08:57 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My android phone (Droid 1) seems to be as accurate as my stand alone GPS (Garmin eTrex legend HCx), its not as sensitive though, dark clouds, trees, buildings will block the signal. It will take longer to get a fix sometimes a few minutes if a cloudy day and can't get a fix at all inside my office building where my Garmin gets a fix in a few seconds and can even get a fix inside buildings.
The Garmin has better battery life, a pair of AA eneloops or lithium can run 18-20 hours where the android phone can maybe run 12 if you don't do too much else but use the GPS.
The phones display is bigger and nicer but is a backlit like a laptop so it washes out in bright sun where the Garmin is a reflective display like a watch so the brighter the sunlight the easier it is to read.

#230636 - 08/26/11 03:06 AM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Unless you can plug it in all the time I'd lean toward a real GPS, today's smartphone generally have horrible battery life with their huge colorful displays.

#230637 - 08/26/11 03:12 AM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I haven't explored all the uses of GPS, but understand that they're great. I'm more of a purist who's on a tight budget, so I tend to lean towards less technology. I'd prefer to go with map and compass, and get a phone.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#230660 - 08/26/11 12:42 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: thseng]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: thseng
I have a Triton... Any idea what killed yours, Andy?

Not a clue. I hadn't used it for a long time and am thinking a lower ppower state might have introduced some hiccups. Interestingly tech support was real interested in knowing if I had been upgrading the firmware or uploading maps (I hadn't) which makes me lean toawrds a software rather than hardware problem.

They offered me 40% of MSRP for either of 2 new units since they don't fix out of warranty products. Still mulling that over.

#230661 - 08/26/11 12:45 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: jzmtl]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Unless you can plug it in all the time I'd lean toward a real GPS, today's smartphone generally have horrible battery life with their huge colorful displays.

That's a good thought. My usage is mostly for day hikes and I do have backup battery and a solar charger so not normally a big concern. Plus I can turn off the phone features and still have GPS functionality.

But you're right, on a multi-day trip I would want a standalone with replaceable batteries.

#230665 - 08/26/11 01:43 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
This topic is interesting in that the answer is not black & white. There are times when a GPS app in a cell phone will be more than adequate, downtown making decisions on where to have dinner before the movie -- critical issues like that.

For anything backwoods or survival oriented, a stand-alone unit (with or without maps for those who carry paper topo maps) or with full mapping capability for those who don't, is the way to go. My primary is a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, with both street and topo maps loaded. If it's a planned outting, I'll also have paper maps for the area.

I'm biased though, a Garmin Nuvi on my dashboard, a 60CSx with my gear in the truck and a Geko 301 in my EDC backpack as back-up. But I like knowing where I am and a cell-phone GPS is not for serious navigation.

YMMV

#230705 - 08/26/11 05:31 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Andy
Originally Posted By: jzmtl

That's a good thought. My usage is mostly for day hikes and I do have backup battery and a solar charger so not normally a big concern. Plus I can turn off the phone features and still have GPS functionality.

But you're right, on a multi-day trip I would want a standalone with replaceable batteries.

And of course you need sun. My thought was that if I were to get lost for some reason it would more likely be on a cloudy/rainy day rather than a nice sunny day figuring that a unexpected storm would probably a factor in getting lost which seems to be common.
Basically my thought was standalone GPS with replaceable batteries and spare batteries. A whole pack of AA's, rechargeable or not, still costs less than one spare lithium ion or battery pack for a phone or a solar panel and doesn't require sun or loose capacity over time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.