Thanks for a very informative and thorough post, Lono! I wonder whether you'd be so kind as to entertain two questions I have. They're psychological in nature, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Lono
- Most folks are in shock, at least for a while. Everything they own has just burned up. They also enter the fire with every foible they had before it - drunk boyfriends, girlfriends on drugs, bad relationships. That complicates a fair number of fire scenes.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is a fire the sort of life crisis that tends to lead people to take a hard look at themselves and end the bad relationships, etc.? Or is this case by case as with most things human?

Originally Posted By: Lono
- neighbors who care are a beautiful thing. I say that not just because it can save the Red Cross a night or two of lodging, but a neighbor who gets out of their bed at 3am to console you and tell you everything will be alright is the kind of person to keep around. They'll take you in and keep you warm and dry on a cold and rainy night. They'll put your kids back to bed while the fire scene works through the aftermath. They give me a place to work out of the elements too.

If we find ourselves in the lucky position of being the neighbors rather than the victims, how can we comfort the unlucky, other than by giving them the necessities & shelter? Knowing me, I can just imagine saying stupid things that focus on the practical aspects, and totally forgetting about the words that would give them comfort. What do they typically want to hear, and how should we tell it to them? I am afraid that "it's going to be OK" (the first thing that'd come to my mind) really won't stand up "my house just burned down!"

Thanks!

Da Bing